• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Andrew Johnson Indian Peace Medal ???

7 posts in this topic

Is this a true Andrew Johnson Indian Peace Medal? Is it silver?

It is nearly 3" in diameter and heavy, although I don't have a scale to weigh it. It shows more wear on the back than the front. There are scratches on the upper right of the back and also along the edge, like someone was trying to determine the metal.

What do you think?

Thank you for your time,

Lauren

jpm-6.JPG

jpm-7.JPG

jpm-8.JPG

This medal appears to be tarnished white medal to me. The variety is Julian IP-40, and that piece is known in silver, copper and white metal.

I don't think that the government gave the Indians peace metals in while metal but I could be wrong. It was my understanding that the Indians got silver metals.

The piece is white metal as a high listing in Rich Hartzog's price guide of $650. That is a listing from 1986, but the numbers in that price guide were high at the time of publication. Now they are low. I'm not sure about the grade on this piece given the hole and the scratches.

I know I've not told you everything, but I hope this helps.

Thanks for your replies. Further research led me here:

American Numismatic Society Collection Database

I can discount many of the 11 forms based on diameter alone. My piece is approximately 75 mm. Further discounting the bronze examples, I am left with either silver or white metal. It appear that accurate weight will give me the info that I need to make a preliminary determination.

My piece does produce a pleasant high-pitched ring when struck with a pencil.

I appreciate your help very much.

Lauren

I'm back from a jeweler's shop with more info. My piece weighs 142.7 gms. That doesn't mesh at all with the weight info I previously posted. Jeweler did an acid test and says it is not silver. He believed it had been worn, but not a lot. He thought that the wear on the back (and the hole at the top) suggested it had been worn, but the metal was relatively soft so more than limited use would have left it well worn.

He suggested that the metal was pewter.

That goes along with this info from Stack's:

"This size is known in silver originals and copper, pewter, and aluminum restrikes."

Also of note is their observation "It is believed that about 25-35 original silver medals survive."

So it isn't silver, and it may be pewter. Is there any way to determine if this is an authentic restrike or a fake?

Looking at the bumps that are below the curls in Andrew Johnson’s hair, I’m starting lean toward cast copy. Those would be in a recessed part of the copy mold which would make them the most difficult to polish off the surface of the cast. It could also be die rust, so I’m not 100% sure, but other aspects of the surface make me think cast copy.

If it makes you feel any better, having one of these in silver can be more trouble than it is worth. A couple of dealers I knew offered a large silver Andrew Johnson Indian peace medal for sale for something like $25,000. They got into trouble because the presumption was it had been illegally taken from the Indians and therefore should be returned to them, whoever “them” (which Indian tribe) is. I don’t know how it was resolved, but it’s the kind of extra hassle no one needs on an item that cost you $25 grand.