• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wheat or any copper coins grading posted by pgera3

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

clean or not clean

not only it's hard too grade coins but more and more i have too deal with coins that are clean or altered. i think im goin to stop buying coins that are not graded, just look on EBAY and you see the number of wheat with no grade just with defination like improperly clean etc... so i have couple questions

1) how do you tell coins as been clean? any books in the matter?

2) do you think coins with just defination label should be accepted in any registry sets?

See more journals by pgera3

there is an excellent book, "coin chemistry," that i have in my library that i reread about once a year. it describes in detail toning, dipping, cleaning, and other items. also, just about anything written by q david bowers is factual, easy to grasp, and fun to read.

there is an excellent book, "coin chemistry," that i have in my library that i reread about once a year. it describes in detail toning, dipping, cleaning, and other items. also, just about anything written by q david bowers is factual, easy to grasp, and fun to read.

That sounds like a book I need for my library. Gonna hit Half.com right now.

Thanks data87...

If you want your collection to end up certified, you definitely should only buy certified coins. It seldom makes sense these days to buy non-certified coins in hopes of "making" the ones you want.