• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Royal Canadian Mint = Franklin Mint posted by Augustus

6 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Royal Canadian Mint: A factory for coins no one cares about.

It looks like The Royal Canadian Mint has gone the way of the Franklin Mint by issuing dozens and dozens of meaningless commemorative coins every year.

The Canadian Mint says that it is modeling their business after successful private mints, like the Franklin Mint, to reach different interest types and boost sales. For the collector, all this junk flooding the market has caused this hobby to lose it's appeal.

This has really lead me to question whether or not to liquidate my position in Canadian commemorative coins before the market becomes so saturated that I can't unload my position, or whether I should just hang on and pursue other coin collecting interests.

This really is disappointing. I have spoken to many other collectors of Canadian Commemorative issues who feel the same way, or have drifted away from the hobby.

Augustus

See more journals by Augustus

Yea, verily.

I actually bought the set of 50 cent pieces of Canadian folk tales so I could get the flying pig. That coin appealed to me as proof the RCM had gone overboard.

I stopped collecting dollar coins back in 2006 because I couldn't keep up with all the types and varieties. That must have been the year I wrote about how bad it was getting.

So what you are saying is that the RCM has jumped the shark. I too collect Canadian coins but I have been put off by the enormous amout of coins they put out. It seems to me that I would have to sell my house, contents, cars and my wife to keep up.

( the bulk of my collection is raw, so it pays no part in the registry)

Pretty soon RCM will be advertising on late night TV like the Republic of Marshall Islands. I can see it now, RCM's cupro-nickel 5 Dollar coin commemorating the last launch of the U.S. Space Shuttle.

Augustus, I agree with your assessment. I am just starting to expand my collecting interest globally. Back in 2010 I purchased a couple Canada Maple Leaf silver $5 Piefort – reverse proofs (9000 mintage) which I love. I was hoping, given the popularity of the coin, the RCM would come out with a 2011 version but that doesn’t look like it will happen.

I have monitored the RCM site for over a year now and I agree that they have diluted their brand with too many ill-conceived / silly offerings. Canada has some talented artist and I especially like some of the “First Nation” inspired coinage but I just haven’t seen the design + value combination that would make me pull the trigger and buy.

I saw an ad from RCM where they were selling a 20 dollar face value coin for 20 dollars so they are headed toward Marshall Island marketing at the speed of light. I think they should sell a real boutique item, YOUR own profile engraved on a limited issue 50 Cent coin. You have to buy a minimum of 1000 pieces and they will set you back 10.00 a piece.