• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MY LOST OPPORTUNITY SHOWS UP IN ANOTHER REGISTRY SET posted by DM Merrill Associates, Inc.

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

the Price I Must Pay For Being The Underbidder.

Have you ever missed out on a "great" coin at auction? For most collectors, the answer is "Of course I have!". Have you evr had that same coin show up in another registry set? Well, I just did!

I was browsing through another collector's Seated Liberty H-Dime Registry. As I brought up the picture of his 1840 WD specimen, I froze in disbelief. Staring back at me was a coin that I had drooled over, and bid for on April 4, 2007!

Here is my account of the "odd" circumstances leading to my loss.

I spotted this beauty early in the week,as soon as lots were available for viewing. I researched recent offerings, grades certified, and prices; then place a reasonable bid early in the week. The only competing bid was poste early on the last day of the auction. I rechecked my facts and figures and determined my final bid, but didn't execute it; only watched for any additional action throughout the day. There was none. My strategy was to wait until the last moments prior to closing, then place my "final" strong offer.

As the clock ticked down, my computer was all "cued up"; the numbers were entered; all I had to do was hit the bid button at the crucial moment. Wait for it, wait for it, NOW!!! I punched bid, and nothing happened! Apparently there was quite abit of activity in this auction, and the DLRC servers were overloaded.

I stared at thislack of action as the clock ticked off the last few seconds- 3 - 2 - 1. AUCTION OVER! My final shot was never fired. I cursed at my monitor and lamented my strategy of waiting till the last possible moment to bid. Later, Win Callender (DLRC) and I laughed at the unfortunate timing of events.

Over the ensuing 4 years, I'd forgotten about this coin. That is, until today- and there it was, as beautiful as I remember from 2007!

If I can't have her, it's satisfying to see this gorgeous coin surrounded by other wonderfully eye appealing examples. It resides in a super collection, owned by a true gentleman.

Though I lost her at auction, at least I know where to go visit!

See more journals by DM Merrill Associates, Inc.

Hello,,,,,,Thanks, for bringing back my sad memories! Lol',,,,,,

But Yes,,,,,I can just imagine an feel your intense passion for this coin. I an'

I know many other collectors here, also experienced this at one time or

another. We do learn from our mistakes however', so that bein' said,,,

I wish you luck in your next search/venture of rare coins, my friend! Jim/jb4gpo

In 2006, I was bidding on an original set of MS Washington Quarters that had been housed in the old Wayte Raymond pages. The auction started with the later years----in groupings of ten coins. I won the first ten coins on my son's computer.

When he punched in the snipe bid on the second grouping of ten coins, his computer froze. I don't think that you "EVER" forget what you should have had.

I knew that these coins were original NT toned and all original skinned----as I had already bought the grouping of Walkers from 1936 to 1947---also housed in old Wayte Raymond pages. These Walkers are today the coins in my two Walker registry sets.

Although the Walkers had been my goal, it would have been nice to get the Washington Quarters too. Bob [supertooth]