• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Photographer- Who do you recommend?

63 posts in this topic

I've tried selling some of my slabbed coins on eBay at a 70% reserve to no avail.
What does that mean? "70% reserve" pertaining to what?

Thanks.

Mark, he's probably taking the listed price, maybe by PCGS or whatever, and reserving coins at 70% of that.
If he's using the PCGS Price Guide, 70% might be way too high or way too low, depending on the coin. In other words, that isn't advisable across the board. ;)

Mark, he's probably taking the listed price, maybe by PCGS or whatever, and reserving coins at 70% of that.
If he's using the PCGS Price Guide, 70% might be way too high or way too low, depending on the coin. In other words, that isn't advisable across the board. ;)

I was talking about 70% of greysheet bid. I think selling a coin that slabbed by the #1 & 2 grading companies in the world for anything less is pointless.

One of the coins in question is a 1926 sesquicentennial commemorative coin slabbed by NGC as MS65 that has some rim toning. As it sits in the slab, I think 70% greysheet is fair, but with a good pic of the toning, it might fetch more.

One of the coins in question is a 1926 sesquicentennial commemorative coin slabbed by NGC as MS65 that has some rim toning. As it sits in the slab, I think 70% greysheet is fair, but with a good pic of the toning, it might fetch more.
That coin serves as a great illustration of my point that a certain % of a published guide price might be way too high or way too low.

CDN bid for an MS65 Sesqui is $3800, so 70% amounts to $2660. And yet, the last four examples which sold in Heritage sales this month, brought $1380, $2070, $1380 and $2185. Sight-unseen, at least, 70% of CDN bid is way too high.

If you aren't already familiar with and using the Heritage auction archives, I would suggest that you start. It is a wonderful source of information.

I refer to it as an "economy" coin. When the economy gets better, so will the prices of most commemoratives. They tend to be the 1st ones to sell poorly in a recessive economy. However, I was counting on that toning. I have had US type coins that have done very well recently, though. I might stick to selling those. I was just recently introduced to Heritage, and plan on checking it out some more. Thanks for the advice Mark!

I refer to it as an "economy" coin. When the economy gets better, so will the prices of most commemoratives. They tend to be the 1st ones to sell poorly in a recessive economy. However, I was counting on that toning. I have had US type coins that have done very well recently, though. I might stick to selling those. I was just recently introduced to Heritage, and plan on checking it out some more. Thanks for the advice Mark!
Classic silver commemoratives have largely been dead in the water, for about the past 20 years. They don't necessarily do well in a good economy. And I say that, even though I like them and handle quite a few of them.

Still, we are in agreement that an especially good image can make a big difference, when offering a coin for sale. Best of luck to you.

I must confess, since I have private insurance, I hadn't considered how expensive shipping can be for those who don't have it.

It's not so much the cost for me, but the risk of loss!

As it's very uncomfortable handing a Rarity-8 pattern of which the Smithsonian doesn't even own an example over to a USPS clerk.

My understanding is that professional coin photography is often available at major coin shows. Why not go to FUN?

Florida? Nah, I'm saving up for the ANA show in Dallas in august
You'll have a very LONG time to save up, then. The August ANA show is in Rosemont, Illinois. ;)

As others have alluded, greysheet is full-blown retail pricing on commems. You are shooting for wholesale at 70%, which is a good start. But even then, they are slow movers.

50% of sheet should move them.

You'll have a very LONG time to save up, then. The August ANA show is in Rosemont, Illinois. ;)

Why was I thinking Dallas, hmmm... there must have been some kind of show there...brainfart

Why was I thinking Dallas, hmmm... there must have been some kind of show there...brainfart

It sounds like a good place for a coin show though; that or Corpus Christi.

As already mentioned, I HIGHLY recommend Todd Pollock at www.bluccphotos.com - as many of you have already seen photos of my coins, Todd does a fantastic job capturing the quality and toning on coins, that is one of his specialties. Also, he is very reasonably priced, has quick turnaround, and is completely professional.

However, most important of all, Todd is fully insured so shipping to/from him is minimal and his insurance also covers your coins while in his possession. To me, that is a big PLUS.

p.s. I get NO remunerations whatsoever by recommending Todd - I just personally feel he is the best coin photographer out there! Also, the ANA has pretty good confidence in Todd's skills, as they have asked him to teach the Advanced Photography class at the ANA Summer Seminar next week and he'll be teaching a class during the ANA in Chicago as well.

As already mentioned, I HIGHLY recommend Todd Pollock at www.bluccphotos.com - as many of you have already seen photos of my coins, Todd does a fantastic job capturing the quality and toning on coins, that is one of his specialties. Also, he is very reasonably priced, has quick turnaround, and is completely professional.

However, most important of all, Todd is fully insured so shipping to/from him is minimal and his insurance also covers your coins while in his possession. To me, that is a big PLUS.

p.s. I get NO remunerations whatsoever by recommending Todd - I just personally feel he is the best coin photographer out there! Also, the ANA has pretty good confidence in Todd's skills, as they have asked him to teach the Advanced Photography class at the ANA Summer Seminar next week and he'll be teaching a class during the ANA in Chicago as well.

Plus 1 vote for Todd, only guy I use. Not as a comment about others just he is that good for my needs.

There are a number of folks who can produce very high quality images, though the styles of the photographers might be different and may or may not match what you have in mind for a final product.

One thought about cost; I recently had a client send me 11 coins to be imaged and he sent them via Registered Mail with insurance at $15,000. I returned the coins to him also using Registered Mail with insurance at $15,000. His total cost for shipping both ways and images was just under $200. This came out to about $17-$18 per coin for shipping both ways plus all of the images. Of course, depending upon how many coins you have and their values, you may have a different cost average.

That seems way high for shipping. My insurance covers shipments to and from me, travel with coins, coin shows etc. Cost for a shipment like that should be closer to 25 bucks each way. My registered insurance is for 50k per package.

I will probably list it in July....it came in with other consignments but it was just for imaging hence the consignment name since I imaged probably 40 coins at the same time. The sender contacted me a few days ago and let me know he found out his wife was expecting so now he wants the coins he sent for imaging sold. (thumbs u

There are a number of folks who can produce very high quality images, though the styles of the photographers might be different and may or may not match what you have in mind for a final product.

One thought about cost; I recently had a client send me 11 coins to be imaged and he sent them via Registered Mail with insurance at $15,000. I returned the coins to him also using Registered Mail with insurance at $15,000. His total cost for shipping both ways and images was just under $200. This came out to about $17-$18 per coin for shipping both ways plus all of the images. Of course, depending upon how many coins you have and their values, you may have a different cost average.

That seems way high for shipping. My insurance covers shipments to and from me, travel with coins, coin shows etc. Cost for a shipment like that should be closer to 25 bucks each way. My registered insurance is for 50k per package.

It also included all the costs for images, as stated in my original post.

It also included all the costs for images, as stated in my original post.

You mean right there after both ways? My bad.....

That makes much more sense, thanks for clarifying.

Has anyone heard from Mark Goodman?

He shot 4 coins for me recently. They were returned safe and sound, and the pictures were great.

I emailed him afterwards about sending a few more to him, but he hasn't return my emails in well over a month now.

Has anyone heard from Mark Goodman?

He shot 4 coins for me recently. They were returned safe and sound, and the pictures were great.

I emailed him afterwards about sending a few more to him, but he hasn't return my emails in well over a month now.

Heard of him, he wrote the book, literally.

Numismatic Photography

IMO, Mark and messydesk John are the best in the industry. I got lucky in the recent photography contest, no doubt. Some day I hope to be as good as either of these professionals.

Speaking of pix, if you like early silver here are some recent photos from the Solomon collection. If any catches your eye PM me and I'll get you contact info for the dealer (Sheridan Downey) handling them. Fabulous coins.

Lance.

Roger Solomon's bust silver