• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Photographer- Who do you recommend?

63 posts in this topic

I'm looking to sell some of my big ticket slabbed coins, and it's common sense that the better the pics, the better they'll sell. Does anyone have a coin photographer that they would recommend? I prefer a recommendation from someone who has used said recommended photographer before, not just seen their pics posted.

In no particular order I like images done by members Messydesk, TomB, and Mark Goodman.

To my eye these photographers seem to offer what the coin would exactly look like in hand.

This is important for me as I hate surprises and dislike making returns.

I recommend getting Mark Goodman's book and then doing it yourself. :cloud9:

jom

I recommend the book, but not doing it yourself. I read the book, but based on my equipment, set up and (lack of) skills, my images fall considerably short, compared to those of Mr. Goodman and a number of other excellent photographers.

I have had generally good success with, reasonable prices and excellent service from, in no particular order, the following:

JK (Jeremy Katz) Coin Photography Website

BluCC Photos (Todd Pollock) Website

Resco (Russ Stringham) Website

And, while I have not used their services, I have heard of and seen excellent work from (already-mentioned) Messydesk, TomB, and Mark Goodman.

jom

I recommend the book, but not doing it yourself.

While I agree all of the people you listed are very good I'm not sure I agree with recommendation of not doing it yourself. I prefer my photos (good or bad) and I think anyone can do a decent job of it. That's what Goodman thinks and I agree. It depends on whether you want to take the time and expense! And, no, it does NOT have to be "expensive". It depends on each person..so I'd consider all options!

So to answer the OP I think Mark's recommendations are great if you want to go that direction OR consider DIY. :banana:

jom

jom

I recommend the book, but not doing it yourself.

While I agree all of the people you listed are very good I'm not sure I agree with recommendation of not doing it yourself. I prefer my photos (good or bad) and I think anyone can do a decent job of it. That's what Goodman thinks and I agree. It depends on whether you want to take the time and expense! And, no, it does NOT have to be "expensive". It depends on each person..so I'd consider all options!

So to answer the OP I think Mark's recommendations are great if you want to go that direction OR consider DIY. :banana:

jom

A "decent job" is one thing. An excellent job is something else, entirely different. ;)

A "decent job" is one thing. An excellent job is something else, entirely different. ;)

So is cost, postage and convenience. How "excellent" do you need anyway?

To each their own...I just recommend CONSIDERING all options.

jom

The coins I plan to sell are $2K+ so the need for an excellent pic is a must. The smallest detail could add or subtract $100's. I want the potential buyer to be 100% confident that the coin they see in the pic will be as close to identical in-hand.

So is cost, postage and convenience. How "excellent" do you need anyway?

To each their own...I just recommend CONSIDERING all options.

jom

I prefer more "excellent" than I am usually capable of. :D

Of course, it depends upon the circumstances and reasons for imaging. But in the case of selling 4 and 5 figure coins, at least, the cost of a better image (than I can produce) is often well worth the price.

Messydesk is the absolute best, bar none, hands down. He has even surpassed the Godfather of coin photography. Although, if I had a toned Morgan, I'd most likely send it to Shane aka Kryptonitecomics.

All of the folks mentioned in this thread are the best. But be aware that not only do you have to pay the fee for imaging, you will have to cover shipping and insurance. Unless you have a bulk insurance policy for all of your coin shipping, storage, etc. etc., it is going to be very expensive to send coins back and forth for imaging - figure $1 each way per $100 value for the coins you want to insure. So for a $1000 coin, you are talking minimum $5 each way shipping, at least $10 each way (USPS) insurance, then there is delivery confirmation each way, the imaging cost, and conservatively, you are talking at least $40-$50 per image. This is what convinced me to learn how to shoot myself. Below is an image of a new arrival, and after reading Mark Goodman's book and practicing for 2 years, is about 90-95% of the way there. Good enough for selling or for showing my collection, although over the next few years I want to get all of the way there for all types of coins. This was a quick shoot, I can now go back and refine by spending a little time in a re-shoot, polishing the slab, etc. But in either case, in the long run, more cost effective to do it yourself and a heck of alot of fun. Talk to the experts - Mark, Todd, Bob, etc., practice, and learn.

1832dNGCAU55comp.jpg

All of the folks mentioned in this thread are the best. But be aware that not only do you have to pay the fee for imaging, you will have to cover shipping and insurance. Unless you have a bulk insurance policy for all of your coin shipping, storage, etc. etc., it is going to be very expensive to send coins back and forth for imaging - figure $1 each way per $100 value for the coins you want to insure. So for a $1000 coin, you are talking minimum $5 each way shipping, at least $10 each way (USPS) insurance, then there is delivery confirmation each way, the imaging cost, and conservatively, you are talking at least $40-$50 per image. This is what convinced me to learn how to shoot myself. Below is an image of a new arrival, and after reading Mark Goodman's book and practicing for 2 years, is about 90-95% of the way there. Good enough for selling or for showing my collection, although over the next few years I want to get all of the way there for all types of coins. This was a quick shoot, I can now go back and refine by spending a little time in a re-shoot, polishing the slab, etc. But in either case, in the long run, more cost effective to do it yourself and a heck of alot of fun. Talk to the experts - Mark, Todd, Bob, etc., practice, and learn.

This!

Take that Feld! lol

jom

This!

Take that Feld! lol

jom

I agree as the associated postage, insurance, and risk of loss by the US Postal Orifice was the reason I also had no issues paying $2K +/- on a full photo set up.

For example I just recently dropped a $3K coin off at a show to be Tru-View'd by PCGS total shipped back to me was a nickel shy of $63.00...

Ouch that was painful! doh!

This!

Take that Feld! lol

jom

I agree as the associated postage, insurance, and risk of loss by the US Postal Orifice was the reason I also had no issues paying $2K +/- on a full photo set up.

For example I just recently dropped a $3K coin off at a show to be Tru-View'd by PCGS total shipped back to me was a nickel shy of $63.00...

Ouch that was painful! doh!

I must confess, since I have private insurance, I hadn't considered how expensive shipping can be for those who don't have it.

I agree with Mark Feld, regarding Mark Goodman, Jeremy Katz, and Todd Pollock, just to name a few and have had great outcomes from each. I have seen much of messydesk's work and while the results are fantastic, so have been the coins absolutely been top shelf coins. Gorgeous color, fantastic cameos, super strikes and usually higher grade MS coins. I would recommend any of these without reservation---just should it become an issue, at least for Mark, Jeremy and Todd, I can vouch for their speed and with satisfactory return times along with Shane(kryptonitecomics) another great photographer of coins.

Best of luck, Jobessi, I agree with your disposition towards quality photos needed to garner value from the sale of high quality coins. Very few can and should photo their own coins for resale, but they do exist, I'm sure Joe Best could and should just to name one.

Jim

I must confess, since I have private insurance, I hadn't considered how expensive shipping can be for those who don't have it.

It's not so much the cost for me, but the risk of loss!

As it's very uncomfortable handing a Rarity-8 pattern of which the Smithsonian doesn't even own an example over to a USPS clerk.

There are a number of folks who can produce very high quality images, though the styles of the photographers might be different and may or may not match what you have in mind for a final product.

One thought about cost; I recently had a client send me 11 coins to be imaged and he sent them via Registered Mail with insurance at $15,000. I returned the coins to him also using Registered Mail with insurance at $15,000. His total cost for shipping both ways and images was just under $200. This came out to about $17-$18 per coin for shipping both ways plus all of the images. Of course, depending upon how many coins you have and their values, you may have a different cost average.

Tom, Will the post-office cover insurance at $15K? I thought their maximum was $5K. If not, where was your client getting his insurance from? He/she appears to be getting a better insurance rate than I can find.

Thanks, HT

This came out to about $17-$18 per coin for shipping both ways plus all of the images. Of course, depending upon how many coins you have and their values, you may have a different cost average.

Yes, that is VERY reasonable but I thought the PO stopped insurance at $5k, like Hard Times mentioned. (shrug)

jom

Mr. Hard Times, if you REGISTER a package with USPS, they will insure up to 25k I believe. You can check their website, but if you are going to insure a package at more than 2k then it's best to register. It's actually cheaper. Albeit, it takes quite a bit longer for delivery, but it is more affordable that way.

On another note, Sir Times placed second in the last contest with a very true photo. I can also vouch for Mr. Keigwin and Mr. Bruce Lee, James Early US. I'm sure there are others who were in the last contest, but I'd have to dig deep into my memory banks and I'd rather drink a beer for Fathers Day instead!! lol

Mr. Hard Times, if you REGISTER a package with USPS, they will insure up to 25k I believe. You can check their website, but if you are going to insure a package at more than 2k then it's best to register. It's actually cheaper. Albeit, it takes quite a bit longer for delivery, but it is more affordable that way.

On another note, Sir Times placed second in the last contest with a very true photo. I can also vouch for Mr. Keigwin and Mr. Bruce Lee, James Early US. I'm sure there are others who were in the last contest, but I'd have to dig deep into my memory banks and I'd rather drink a beer for Fathers Day instead!! lol

Coindude, Thanks for the info, I will look into this for future mailing. All of those mentioned above by Coindude are excellent photographers and thanks for mentioning us - but I am a long way from being completely comfortable with my images when looking at what the others can do. I have years of work ahead of me for this.

Enjoy your beer! We are about to get into the Magaritas my wife has made from scratch, and watch the Tour de Suisse on Versus, go Levi!

HT out

This came out to about $17-$18 per coin for shipping both ways plus all of the images. Of course, depending upon how many coins you have and their values, you may have a different cost average.

Yes, that is VERY reasonable but I thought the PO stopped insurance at $5k, like Hard Times mentioned. (shrug)

jom

Registered Mail can be insured up to $25,000 per package and the USPS regulations can be found here. Those thinking of a $5,000 limit are thinking of Express Mail, which is an entirely different beast.

Thanks for all the info. Wow. A lot of my friends think I should be taking the pictures myself, since I am a filmmaker by trade, but there's a big difference between directing and actually handling a camera. I'm not planning to unload my entire collection, just one or two at the moment. Total will be in the 5K range.

I always felt uneasy asking for 5K in insurance at the PO. They might not know what's in the box, but they now know it's pretty damn expensive. Someone would make a killing if they started a shipping liaison co. so that the average joe could save on such shipping charges. I'll take a look at some of the stuff that the recommended photog's have posted in the past, and start making inquiries. Thanks for all the advice guys!

If I forgot to mention Bob, it was only an oversight, and I'm truly sorry. Bob does great work!! I too have seen his images and he is very true to what the coin looks like. I can't say that for all the photographers I've run across.

I'm looking to sell some of my big ticket slabbed coins, and it's common sense that the better the pics, the better they'll sell.

I'm available, but there are plenty of excellent photographers on the boards.

But what I don't understand is what good the images will do for you. Do you plan to market the coins yourself? Do you realize the time and expense involved in doing so? And will you be able to get what you want for the coin(s)?

I'm looking to sell some of my big ticket slabbed coins, and it's common sense that the better the pics, the better they'll sell.

I'm available, but there are plenty of excellent photographers on the boards.

But what I don't understand is what good the images will do for you. Do you plan to market the coins yourself? Do you realize the time and expense involved in doing so? And will you be able to get what you want for the coin(s)?

I've tried selling some of my slabbed coins on eBay at a 70% reserve to no avail. I figured it was my subpar photos. I sent two with your auction, and if the results are good, then I think I found the best way to sell them.