• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Definitive Key Date Morgan List

10 posts in this topic

I was looking for a defintive key date morgan list. Depending on the criteria, I have found several online, but they do vary. Is there a list that, as an example, is recognized by the ANA? Or is it subjective as to the price, availabilty, rarity, survival rate, or other factors of what is considered a "key date"?

A Definitive Key Date list would require a Definitive interpretation of the term "Key Date." Typically, that's the most expensive of a series that is going into your set, in which case for business strike Morgans it would be the 1893-S. Sticking with that definition, while most set compositions will put the 1893-S at the top, the next 5 coins may change depending of you're considering a circulated set, an uncirculated set, or a PL set. This is true with the Morgan dollar series more than others, as some dates and mints were abundantly released into circulation (1892-S cheap in VF and below, 6 figures in MS64) while others are virtually unknown circulated (1885-CC, 1904-O).

If you consider availability to be a bigger factor than price in determining what a key date is, then the traditional popular keys (1893-S Morgan, 1877 Indian cent, 1909-S VDB Lincoln, 1916-D Mercury 10c) might not be at the top of the list, as these are fairly easy to find at large shows and auctions, while other dates might not be.

There is no "key date" list that is endorsed by the ANA as being definitive or even authoritative.

I appreciate the response. I have collected differing series. I was just always interested in trying to find a generally accepted Morgan Key date list. It seems there are many opinions, without much consensus.

I appreciate the response. I have collected differing series. I was just always interested in trying to find a generally accepted Morgan Key date list. It seems there are many opinions, without much consensus.

There probably is general consensus, but the problem may be that you did not specify a grade range. Many of the key dates at the MS-65 level are not keys at the VF level, for example. Also, are you considering PL or DMPLs? Here again, several coins that are terribly common even at MS-65 are terribly rare as DMPL.

You probably want to pick a grade, first -- then the list will flow from that, as James notes, above.

A little more info is required. I typically have sought my collections by using the registry here and ATS for my pursuits. I have been fortunate enough to have completed a Top Ten Carson City basic set, the Top Everyman Peace dollar set (not so easy when you need 58+), and the current Top 1890 Proof set.

Frankly, I have lost interest in trying to put together a yearly set to go as high up as I could afford for that year. Budgets for coins, no matter how high or low the amount, has limits for all of us.

So, now, I am thinking I just would like to put together some coins that I could really enjoy for what they are and to satisfy my collecting needs. Morgans have always been my favorite and will continue to be so.

So here is my INITIAL key date list as whittled down with this criteria:

One each for each mint (not Denver), low mintage and generally accepted as "key date" by most opinions. Grades? I plan on focusing on the appeal of the coin, although I will not go below a 45 as a rule, nor will I spend super Gem money. Even if I wanted to, those are way out of my reach. For this set, PL and Deep are not desired.

1889 CC

1893 0

1895 S

A Cameo Proof. Still undecided the year.

Opinions? Better years?

OK, so you want lightly circulated coins to populate your set. First of all, be aware that even at that level, a complete set of Morgan dollars will be expensive.

Here are your keys:

1889-CC

1893-CC

1893-S

1895-S

Your semi-keys will include:

1879-CC

1885-CC (not really rare, just overpriced)

1893-O

1895-O

1903-S

Buy these ten coins, and you basically have your mission accomplished.

OK, so you want lightly circulated coins to populate your set. First of all, be aware that even at that level, a complete set of Morgan dollars will be expensive.

Here are your keys:

1889-CC

1893-CC

1893-S

1895-S

Your semi-keys will include:

1879-CC

1885-CC (not really rare, just overpriced)

1893-O

1895-O

1903-S

Buy these ten coins, and you basically have your mission accomplished.

No one would complain about seeing nice examples of these in an auction!

Given your criteria of "one from each mint," my "dream list" would be:

1889 CC

1893S

1903O

and a 95 proof

But the money difference would be so huge... I think your list looks fine. :)

Don't forget the 1921-D to represent the Denver mint. Not exactly a key but an integral part of a "one from each mint" set. Without it, your set is not complete.