• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The price of Sample Slabs

11 posts in this topic

Why are the price of samples going up?

I keep a close eye on as many Ebay sites as possible, and the one thing I have noticed is, how the price of sample slabs are going up.

I saw one this week for over $500.00. Yes it was a rare sample, but even the easy to find ones are going up in price.

Let me know what you think.

Alan

My feelings are, the more people that start to collect the sample slabs, the more the price will go up due to a higher demand for them.

-Chris#2

it is getting to the 25+ year mark for ngc and pcgs in their operations

not old; but not new on the block

many different sample slabs and as the services keep getting older the slabs get more important as to the history of the services and also you see them less and less

soooooooooooooooooo

they become more and more collectible

just like good collector coins in older slabs there is a mystique and with for example red copper proves if the coin has not turned in the slab older slab that the coin is not only stable but not been boinked

i bet within the next few years more attention will be paid to sample slabs and a more diligent study will mean more information published and i am sure increased collector participation

it will happen and then

......................... BOOM

a new collecting nitch in numismatics

remember if you want an older slab that is rarer but it has a 20k coin in it will many cant afrord to do this but with smaple slabs you can get older more scarcer older slabs and with a coin in the slab but not a 20k coin :devil:

and with sample slabs there is such a variety and with so soooooooo different varieties out there i think it will become its own collecting nitch

and THE HUNT IS ON

those who start earlier like NOW

will have a great head start

Not a fan of sample slabs, but I like getting new slab types that I don't have. Michael is right - as time goes on, these older slab types are getting scarcer and more important. It is even harder for actual production slabs, because people keep cracking them out and trying for upgrades.

Alan

Remember when a coin is minted it is done so in the millions.

When a sample is made, it is made it can be in the hundreds.

Also there are samples that are produced for special occasions in small amounts, recently I saw some ANACS Sample Slab that were produced for just these kinds of special occasions for sale.There where only twenty five of each made.

They sold if I remember correctly for around twenty dollar each.

I can only guess what the value will be in five years.

I paid $.99 for a sample a wile ago and now that same sample I saw selling for twenty dollars

I have recently come into a sample slab and only one hundred where made. They were given out in lots of twenty five.

On the website it goes as fare as to break down the samples, and where each lot of twenty five went. I think This sample will increase in value very fast.

Sample slabs are going up in price at a very fast rate, because more people are collecting. I have just seen one for sale for over $500.00.

I can see in the very near future when they will become a whole

whole new part of the numismatics world.

As the saying goes, by the coin not the slab.

But when it comes to samples slabs, you should buy the slab not the coin.

There is a link on the bottom of this page, to my new article on the sample slab.

You might find it helpful. I also have a new one coming out next week.

All the Best

Alan

IMO, the ONLY reason that Sample Slab prices are going up is BECAUSE of the publicity they get on this AND the PCGS folrum.

Try selling those samples in 4 or 5 years without this forum publicity and I'm sure all you'll get is a bunch of yawns.

The exact same scenario played out with the Type B Reverse Washington's.

Hi 19Lyds

I think sample slabs collecting has been growing for quite a wile now.

I know collectors with four, five even six hundred samples, and they have been collecting for ears.

I was looking at some old posts for 2009 and samples where becoming popular even then.IMO the reason sample slabs are going up in price is because people are starting to hold on to them. Try buying a first generation PCGS slab.

It is not easy. Remember these slabs where made in very small amounts,

That applies to any hobby, when it comes to a limited edition item

When all is said and done we can agree to disagree, I still think the whole part of collecting any type of coin or sample is the fun of the hobby and the thrill of the hunt.

Alan.

IMO, the ONLY reason that Sample Slab prices are going up is BECAUSE of the publicity they get on this AND the PCGS folrum.

Try selling those samples in 4 or 5 years without this forum publicity and I'm sure all you'll get is a bunch of yawns.

totally disagree as i have found it to be the complete opposite

but with that said you need to buy sample slabs within reason

if the slabs are in the $5-20 or so dollar range then it is a fun collectible with potential

and if you possibly pay more $ if the coin inside is more valuable (like sample slabs with choice bu morgans dollars in them) than this is okie

just dont go overboard with paying nutty prices until you see a more larger market development and maybe some books printed on the subject

but have some fun along the way spending no more than a double sawbuck of discretionary income and if you enjoy this then no reason to fret over what some others say

as that double sawbuck spent on a choice bu kennedy half dollar (that currently melts at around 13.50) in a great scarcer older sample slab is money better spent than blowing

the same $20 for two games of bowling or a 6 pack and a pack of smokes at the beach :shy:

michael

I have to agree with you.

If you enjoy them and you can get a good deal why not!

Alan

i second that young man (thumbs u