• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1843-O Quarter Eagle: GRADE REVEALED!

18 posts in this topic

I'm a bit more forgiving of these, and would guess VF-25 to 30, or possibly even a tad higher.

It looks to have EF-40 details, but take off a few points for cleaning.

I am guessing 40 - NO quarter eagles are commonly poorly struck.... Possibly even 45 on the right day in the grading room. Hard to say if it is cleaned, I have seen infinite amounts of Liberty QE's in circulated grades in NGC and PCGS holders that have grades but with hairlines

LIBERTY looks awfully muddled to me.

Is it a poor strike or simply wear?

Grade revealed in 1st post. NGC said it was a weak strike and I agree. While the XF45 grade seems generous, the price was right on this one and I'm a sucker for old quarter eagles! <3

Actually, XF might not be out of the question at all.

What kind of luster does the coin have? I've just realized that you may have given us a scan, and from personal experience, I nearly always undergrade coins from scanned images.

I had implied VF-25 to 35 as a range, but had I know this is a scanned image, then my guess would have been VF-30 to XF-40 at least.

LIBERTY looks awfully muddled to me.

Is it a poor strike or simply wear?

Grade revealed in 1st post. NGC said it was a weak strike and I agree. While the XF45 grade seems generous, the price was right on this one and I'm a sucker for old quarter eagles! <3

Very interesting. I maintain my original technical assessment:

Weak strike, but strong VF details. :)

Actually, XF might not be out of the question at all.

What kind of luster does the coin have? I've just realized that you may have given us a scan, and from personal experience, I nearly always undergrade coins from scanned images.

I had implied VF-25 to 35 as a range, but had I know this is a scanned image, then my guess would have been VF-30 to XF-40 at least.

These are Heritage images. I picked it up on a whim for the $300 opening bid ($345 w/BP). I'll have it in a couple weeks but don't expect a lot of luster. Just a nice old quarter eagle.

Been on a buying spree this week and grabbed a couple good looking generic Morgans in NGC slabs. I'll post a couple of those too.

Good pick up Fishy, I have been studying the liberty quarter eagle series for years, with emphasis on NO examples, so this is pretty consistent with what I expected for the grade, as noted. There will always be a tendency for folks to grade NO varieties lower because of the poor strikes. Having said that, because of this and other factors for NO liberty QE's, they are much undervalued to be sure. You example is a strong XF with some good originality.

Best, HT