• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1924 peace

17 posts in this topic

I love frosty coins, and this 1924 peace is very frosty. It currently resides in a PCGS Old Green Holder. Of all the OGH coins i have, most are solid for the grade, but i think this one has a good chance for upgrade. The obverse is completely mark free!!! Let me know what you think!

112263.jpg.5238e39efbde24783e10684c12519bfd.jpg

112264.jpg.a1fe16f9e01dc70c854d7934e293eb5c.jpg

112265.jpg.ee8caa265f96999de539827f1231b0bb.jpg

112266.jpg.335458eb4c6af75852000cc27ebf5571.jpg

Too much non visible area to give a good grade. I do like the satiny finish though. From what I can see, if I were to have to give a guess, I would say at least 65.

I'm going to guess that PCGS gave this coin a grade of MS65; however, on today's market, I would guess MS66, maybe MS66+.

EDITED TO ADD: Is this one of your coins from the buy/sell/trade forum? I noticed the highest grade you have listed there is MS64, and I would be surprised to see this in a 64 holder, even in an old green holder (unless your photographs are off).

I'm going to guess that PCGS gave this coin a grade of MS65; however, on today's market, I would guess MS66, maybe MS66+.

EDITED TO ADD: Is this one of your coins from the buy/sell/trade forum? I noticed the highest grade you have listed there is MS64, and I would be surprised to see this in a 64 holder, even in an old green holder (unless your photographs are off).

this coin is not in the buy and sell section. I do have some PCGS OGH peace for sale/trade/whatever that are MS64 and i do not believe those ones would upgrade

I don't even collect peace dollars because I'm not a fan of the weak strike look. I would happily spend some of my hard earned money on this coin though!

I think it is a strict MS-65, and no higher. Here again, we have an abundantly common date silver dollar, clearly a GEM, but there are minor ticks, notorious milk spots, and the eagle's feathers have seen roll friction. I would not attempt to get an upgrade, based on only a small increase in value, but a loss in grading fees.

most of you were spot on, it currently resides in a PCGS OGH at MS65. I feel the obverse is without a doubt MS66+ the reverse is solid for a MS65. I know the TPG often give more weight to the obverse on certain coins, and i feel that the strong obverse more than makes up for the reverse and i think it has a fair shot at MS66. In this case i do think it is cost worthy as a MS65 value is around $200, MS66 is around $600.

most of you were spot on, it currently resides in a PCGS OGH at MS65. I feel the obverse is without a doubt MS66+ the reverse is solid for a MS65. I know the TPG often give more weight to the obverse on certain coins, and i feel that the strong obverse more than makes up for the reverse and i think it has a fair shot at MS66. In this case i do think it is cost worthy as a MS65 value is around $200, MS66 is around $600.

The risk/reward ratio is in your favor. Worst you can lose is 60.00 bucks. If you feel really confident, give it a shot.

Good luck

I try to do a cost-benefit analysis in these situations. Let's say it costs you $60 to try an upgrade and the potential benefit is $400 ($600 MS66 - $200 MS65).

You then "figure your odds" and that's where it gets subjective. $60/$400 is 15%. If you feel you have better than a 15% chance of getting an upgrade, then it's worth a shot. On this small a scale, it's a judgement call but I run these types of things through my head on every submission and have done pretty well.

Good Luck!

I try to do a cost-benefit analysis in these situations. Let's say it costs you $60 to try an upgrade and the potential benefit is $400 ($600 MS66 - $200 MS65).

You then "figure your odds" and that's where it gets subjective. $60/$400 is 15%. If you feel you have better than a 15% chance of getting an upgrade, then it's worth a shot. On this small a scale, it's a judgement call but I run these types of things through my head on every submission and have done pretty well.

Good Luck!

Fishy – you sound like a poker player calculating the odds on whether to call a bet or fold.

Be careful of these numbers, however. Have you ever tried to sell a common-as-dirt Peace dollar for $600 in MS-66? I have, and it just doesn't happen. I think the upside potential is definitely significantly less than implied by the $600 quote.

Be careful of these numbers, however. Have you ever tried to sell a common-as-dirt Peace dollar for $600 in MS-66? I have, and it just doesn't happen. I think the upside potential is definitely significantly less than implied by the $600 quote.

I agree. I have seen ACCURATELY graded MS66 common date Peace Dollars on eBay for less than $500 in NGC/PCGS holders.

The risk/reward ratio is in your favor. Worst you can lose is 60.00 bucks. If you feel really confident, give it a shot.

Good luck

If you send it in, please let us know what PCGS or NGC says!