• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Short Set of My Own Parameters posted by Jackson

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

just added coins 25 and 26 to pass the halfway point !!

As some of you may know I collect coins with Sailing Ships on them. Most of you who know me or read my journals know that my #1 love is Walker Halves. On a lessewr note I have a few other collections of which I have casually added here and there when I find a deal or get lucky and a low ball bid actually holds up for a win.

One of those sets that I build for fun--and definitely not for points, which is obvious by all of the 3 point coins in the set-- is my Barber Half set. I havew kept it fun AND CHEAP by setting my own parameters.

First, I set the target grade range at " Fine". This can include anything from F12 to XF45. I also love this grade range because not only are these coins a lot cheaper than the pricey BU examples but I really do like the look of a circulated Barber Half with this acceptable level of wear.

Secondly, I set up a parameter of a "short set". I may not have been the first to do this however I haven't seen anyone else talk about it. I simply made my target the 49 coins from 1900- end of the series. If the Barber is dated in the 1800's then I simply don't consider it. Some of the dates like the 1898 and 1899 are actually some of the more common dates but overall completing the "Long Set" would be quite pricey even in the Fine grades. The 49 coins of the short set are all affordable, which is remarkable with super low mintages like the 1913, 1914, 1915, the scarce 04-S, 01-S and a few sleepers-- they all are budgetable if purchased in F15 or so and the more common dates can be bought in the VF30-XF40 grades.

So anyhow, I recently added coins 25 and 26 to my set--actually passing the halfway point for the Short Set collection. Two of the coins need upgrading ( my 1904-S and 1915 in VG need to be found in F12+) but otherwise, a fine start to a nice collection of classic coins ( pardon the pun)..PS: I can't help but mention that my $175 Barber half dated 1915 is worth 3 points in the registry-- as are about 10 other coins in my set--and I could care less.

Here's my 1906 I just added for coin #26..a solid VF25

8815.jpg

See more journals by Jackson

Jackson, I hadn't looked at your Barber set before today. I thought you were going to collect these raw. What Barber coins may have lacked in beauty, they made up for in wear, as they wore well and lasted many years in circulation. Your set is very attractive. I completed a raw Mercury dime set in an intercept folder in grades of mostly G-VG without the overdates. The only coin in the entire set that is certified is an AG-3, 1916-D. Currently, I have no intention of certifying any of these dimes or starting a registry set at this time. My registry set only serves as a placeholder for my certified dimes. My Mercury Dime folder simply exists for the fun of it. Happy collecting and best wishes on completing your Barber half short set.

Gary

Jackson,

Beautiful patina on your 1906, you're right, the Barber does really look nice in VF-XF condition. Thanks for sharing your set with us all.

Malcolm

Thanks gentlemen..this set is turning into a lot of fun and it gives me something else to hunt for in the auctions besides a handful of expensive upgrades that rarely are available.

Oh and by the way Gary, I do still have my Barber raw album coins--most of those are VG10 or F12 and look good in the album. I bought the generic Dansco half dollar album and added my own date labels...( even had an extra page that I've filled with miscellaneous halves--a Frankie proof, a nice toner frankie, a SOL half proof, an Oregon Trail commem, a 1965 SMS which is pretty satiny ( no cameo though), a Monroe half with color...etc, etc..)