• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you put a price on scarcity? posted by sethwells

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Just how much is it worth?

Hello everyone, I just purchased a key to a set that im not very interested in. I bought the 1986 5C NGC PF70UC, THE key to the modern jefferson nickels. Ive always been told to start with the keys, so in an effort to follow that credo here it is.

I would like everyone's opinion on this matter, What do you think this coin is really worth given its FMV is $2500 and there are only 7 in this rare grade from NGC also PCGS has only graded 9 and they say their coin is worth $4000

Ive asked for opinions before and gotten great results so im opening the floodgates on this topic.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

8811.jpg

See more journals by sethwells

That's a tough call and one I usually don't make because I am not willing to pay such a large premium for low POP's. However, PCGS consistently prices their coins higher than the FMV. The caveat in their listings is that the value is for PCGS coins only. When it comes down to it, the current market determines value. In other words the coin is worth what the market will bear. When I buy coins though, I like to use the FMV as a guide to determine what I can expect to pay for any given coin. There are some that say even the FMV is a little on the high end also. In the end, it can be hard estimate the value for low POPs because there is not a lot of data to accurately determine value. This is why auctions can surprise you and in the end it comes down to demand,

Gary

She's a beauty. I wonder what the percentage of UC nickels are in the 1986 sets. 1 per 1000 maybe? With that ratio and 3 million plus 86-S nickels, then there could be 3000 UC nickels , now if 1/20th of those are PF70 then maybe 150? Sounds like it might be a bit of a gamble to spend 2500 or thereabouts on one of these. .