• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TRUTH about the 1941-S WALKER posted by Jackson

2 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

the "facts" used as an example are not even close to the truth.

I have only once ever replied to a journal entry, I try and keep the spirit of what the journal was intended for--A place for us as collectors to share our experience ( joys, frustrations and memories--thank you DM Merrill, simply awesome journal as always).

I'm going to straddle the line here by clarifying some really bad misinformation, share an opinion and also share my most recent exciting addition to my collection.

First, concerning some recent strange numbers posted during a venting about the 1941-S Walking Liberty Half. It was reported that there are thousands graded in MS66. The actual number by NGC is 216-- top Walker authorities and publications estimate that the true number is closer to 100 since many of these MS66's were submitted multiple times hoping to hit a "jackpot" of a price jump in MS67. As far as MS67's--there are not "hundreds of 67's and 68's" as you were told, there are 17 graded MS67's and not a single MS68 has ever been graded.

Next, to complain that the prices/values aren't fair in comparison to other series ( in this case Franklins) is silly. The values are exactly what they are worth-period. Walkers are worth more because they are more popular and ultimately value is determined by demand-period-economics 101. The value of an MS66 is $1900 ( almost exactly what I paid for mine) and the jump which entices so many 66's to try for 67's is a $19,000 pricetag for an MS67. The last MS67 I saw sell at auction went for $42,000 so if anything the priceguides are undervaluing what the coin is selling for. ( PS: you can't compare rarities also of a series like Franklins with a designation (FBL)-vs a series with no designation, if we had FST-Full Seperate Thumb, there may actually not even be a single 1941-S with the designation, consider that !!)

So the numbers of the pops are way off, the gripes about the price guide value is accurate if not conservative, and if a coin I spent almost $2000 on is not worth the 2500 points it gets--then let's just fix the whole point thing the easiest way...one point per dollar !!

The point value for moderns in the registry is easy to figure out also. The registry is owned/operated by NGC- a business. NGC is by far the leading slabber of Modern Coinage and makes millions a year doing it. Dealers and collectors send in submissions after submissions hoping to win the coin lotteries and bring in a bunch of 70's. The dealers know that registry participants will pay 5-10x value of a coin if it is in a capsule that says 70. The skewed points system simply creates/fuels the drive and market by triggering these collectors innate competetive sense. ( And YES- I said collectors, because whether the coins are cuni, whether someone collects used stamps, beanie babies or empty beer cans from world breweries--THEY ARE COLLECTORS, value has nothing to do with this..and to say someone is not a collector because their coins are modern is snobbery. Conversely, if you purchase with value in mind or its long-term increase or profit margin, sad news-you are primarily an investor.)

Okay, so that is the clarification on the misinformation about the 1941-S Walker--my opinion ( which will always be collect what you like and enjoy it--it's a hobby not my source of income)..so finally, my exciting new addition.

I recently upgraded 2 of my Short Set dates--I bought a 1947 MS67 ( I can't seem to get a decent photo of this coin which is spectacular in hand but I can't capture the colors, strike, etc in a single image). I also just added a 1946 MS67 Walker. This coin cost me a pretty penny but with a pop of 38 and actually even 1 finer--I may not see another like this coin for a decade or more-if ever...so I snagged it--and yes, for the right coin with a unique look I will even pay well above list or priceguide value--because I am a collector trying to assemble the nicest set I can for my middling income level. I am also very grateful and humbled by the fact that I now have the means to spend over a thousand on a coin when so many of my fellow collectors may only be able to afford the latest in the Prezzie series--but I'm sure that if they love the hobby and collecting as much as I do, then that Prezzie gives them the same joy and excitement when it arrives in the mail and is added to their collection--let none of us squelch that joy of a fellow collector.

8792.jpg

See more journals by Jackson