• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Am I missing something here?

9 posts in this topic

(Well, aside from the obvious... brain cells).

I noticed that the Registry standings in the Washington 1932 - 1964 series changed a fair amount so I went in and looked at some of the new values. The 1950-S in MS66 is now worth 5,405 points. I do not have the NGC population report so I can't say what their population is, but PCGS has graded 614 in MS66. NGC Price Guide in MS66 is $60. We are by NO means talking a rare coin. WTF is with the score of the 1950-S? :screwy: The MUCH rarer 1950 S/D, which has a population of 30 in MS66, is only 2,994 points, and NGC price guide for it is $2,970. I'm sorry but after seeing that I have to wonder about ALL the new values in the Washington series.

EDITED TO ADD: I see there is a way to communicate with NGC about this and have done so. Thank you NGC for making it simple to do so.

You are not missing anything. When I requested that NGC set up the Merc Dime Complete Variety Set I was pleased when they did it so quickly but then shocked at the points they are assigning to the varieties. Even the varieties that ONLY have a hand full graded at NGC, PCGS and ANACS COMBINED. They are applying normal coin(non-variety) points to extremely rare coins...we are talking R5 or R6 or even R7 coins! doh!:frustrated::screwy::pullhair:???

So, I emailed them to inquire. For the varieties that I have, I provided them with the points that PCGS assigns in their sets for the Variety and Non-Variety of the same coin in the same grade. It was a long email. They told me they would look into it and I think that was over a week ago. I should follow up with them. Since I joined over here, NGC has been very responsive to my emails and the customer service has been top notch. That being said, I think they have the same problem with all of the different sets. They are not taking into account the rarity when it comes to applying the points to the varieties.

FYI - I provided the PCGS info only as a reference...not because I want NGC to become just like PCGS. There are a lot of great things that NGC does ...but in some areas, there's room for improvement and this just happens to be one of those few areas is all. It seemed easy to provide a little chart so they could see the *multiplier* of points between the variety and non-variety of the same coin in the same grade.

Registry point values are way outta wack for many series. Its a complaint we've made many times.

As for varieties, these are generally very difficult to score. The Bust Halves are also scored wacky - there should absolutely be a rarity premium associated with certain varieties (R1 = base, R2 = base* factor, etc). For O#, this would be very easy, since each die marriage has a well established rarity.

I'd like to compliment NGC on dealing with this issue VERY rapidly. As of today it appears this issue has been taken care of. Congratulations on a job well done NGC!!!

The 1950-S in MS66 is now worth 5,405 points.

This gets back to the issue that has soured me on registry scoring.

This 1795 large cent in MS-62, Brown gets 3,447 points. The registry points assigned for early U.S. coins are WAY, WAY too low. :mad:

1795centO2.jpg

1795centR2.jpg

I'd like to compliment NGC on dealing with this issue VERY rapidly. As of today it appears this issue has been taken care of. Congratulations on a job well done NGC!!!
It has not been addressed with the Mercury Dime Varieties yet. :(

Bill, I wish I had the coins you had so that I then had the problems you have. :) Nice coin!

Do yourself a favor if you want to go very high up in the registry. Stay away from the classic early U.S. coins because you won't get much bang for the buck with respect to their market values, difficulty in locating them or rarity with respect to points on the registry. You better off buying a bunch MS-66 and 67 graded coins from the ‘30s, ‘40s and ‘50s. That’s where the registry points bargains reside. .