• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Turnaround Times

10 posts in this topic

NGC just received my MOH $5 Gold Proof, requesting Early Bird. Clicked on the link for turnaround times:

Est - 12 working days, Current - 20 working days.

Almost double the estimate? :(

Graders on vacation or submissions are up?

My thoughts are that they are under a heavy submission load with the recent release of the newest 5oz ATB puck. I'm sure dealers have flooded them with the submissions on these just as they did with the prior releases so that they could be labeled as "early release". If I find the link to it again, there was a listing on Ebay of a guy in his store standing in the middle of boxes full of graded ATB pucks that he had submited to NGC for grading when they first came out. These boxes were stacked up almost as high as he was (5 boxes high) with a total of 8 stacks visible in the picture. Pretty sure this same thing is going on at the moment.

-Chris#2

In my mind, it's just sad that one coin takes 20 working days. How can that be a successful business model? Not bashing NGC just wondering is all. :)

Just like any other company out there, they generally cater to the people or companies that place high dollar orders. It's a two way street honestly. On one side they want to keep the higher dollar amount orders coming in, but on the other side they want to keep the little guys business as well.

There could be a good chance that they placed most of the available graders onto the larger orders with hopes of getting them completed quicker so that they can then get back to the smaller orders. Really dont think they would gamble losing orders that consist of 100+ coins at a time to someone like you or me that might at best be able to submit a moderate order of say 10 to 20 coins.

I hope that they do have a certian amount of people working on orders like that, while still having a group that can work on the smaller orders, but its hard to tell since we arent there to see it personally. I can recall at a few jobs I had that they would pull my group off of one location just to rush the higher paying location while all the others were left waiting and leaving voicemail messages until the big job was completed. Its not fair to either side depending on how you look at it or depending on which side of the track you are.

Personally, if it were my company and I noticed things like this going on within my control, I would change the fee from the $30 for earlybird to $15 Modern fee or some equivilant. But thats just me.

-Chris#2

In my mind, it's just sad that one coin takes 20 working days.

But it isn't "one coin" taking 20 days, right? Isn't it really 20,000 coins taking 20 working days? From that perspective, that's 1000 coins a day, or 120 coins an hour, or 2 coins a minute.

In my mind, it's just sad that one coin takes 20 working days.

But it isn't "one coin" taking 20 days, right? Isn't it really 20,000 coins taking 20 working days? From that perspective, that's 1000 coins a day, or 120 coins an hour, or 2 coins a minute.

In the over all scheme of things, yes. But let me be selfish for once James. ;) The only coin I care about is mine. Let's "Get R Done." :)

I sent in a submission of about 50 coins and it was received 3/7/11.

My submission was complete till 4/26/11.

I used the economy tier....I don't know how many working days that was but it was way over.

I look at it this way.

It's one thing if you're trying to get the submission back as quickly as possible to get a jump on all the other people selling them, but it's still not going to change things. Everyone else who wants to flip them for the highest possible profit wants them back as quickly as possible, too!

On the other hand, if you're just a typical collector waiting to get it for your collection, what difference does it make how long it takes as long as you get it back? You already know that the turnaround times are just estimates, and the times can vary based on the quantities of all submissions. If you are in this category, maybe you should have waited a few weeks before sending them.

If you know that the grocery store is always crowded on Saturday afternoons and you don't like to wait in the long lines, why not wait to do your shopping on Saturday evening when everyone is having dinner?

Chris

I look at it this way.

It's one thing if you're trying to get the submission back as quickly as possible to get a jump on all the other people selling them, but it's still not going to change things. Everyone else who wants to flip them for the highest possible profit wants them back as quickly as possible, too!

On the other hand, if you're just a typical collector waiting to get it for your collection, what difference does it make how long it takes as long as you get it back? You already know that the turnaround times are just estimates, and the times can vary based on the quantities of all submissions. If you are in this category, maybe you should have waited a few weeks before sending them.

If you know that the grocery store is always crowded on Saturday afternoons and you don't like to wait in the long lines, why not wait to do your shopping on Saturday evening when everyone is having dinner?

Chris

Some good points.

I just have zero patience when it comes to getting my coins graded and returned. That's on me, not NGC. :)