• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neat Little Find posted by J Lloyd Young

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

After Complaining about a lack of silver coins in circulation

someone felt sorry for me .......

Greetings again Collectors : My recent complaints about not being able to find silver coinage did not go unheard....some

kind soul unknown to me ended up dropping a 1964 Roosevet Dime

in as payment today at work and my eagle eye snagged it right up .This collector can hear a silver coin from 100 feet away if it's dropped even slightly and can spot a silver dime in a pile of clads without hesitation . Also found today a Series 1963 US Note Red Seal which I happily grabbed up as well . I was told a quite astounding story years ago about these particular notes that I to this day don't know if I believe . If anyone who follows currency closely wishes to drop me a line and tell me why in 1963 we issued United States Notes instead of Federal Reserve Notes I'd love to hear ( ie: the official story ) ....and may relate my story in return . My story....for which I have no facts to support...is full of mystery and intrigue .

In any case ....THIS has always been the kind of collecting that has brought me the most joy and is still so much fun....finding collectible stuff in change . If that isn't what the thrill of treasure hunting is about then I don't know what is .

8747.JPG

See more journals by J Lloyd Young

Here is the information that Littleton Coin Co. had on their site about bills such as yours.

1963 $5 Legal Tender Note

Legal Tender Notes, also known as United States Notes, were introduced during the Civil War. The size was reduced to modern standards beginning with Series 1928, and only $1, $2, $5, and $100 notes were issued in the smaller size. The face of the small-size $5 Legal Tender Note features a central portrait of Abraham Lincoln, while the back depicts the Lincoln Memorial. This popular Series 1963 $5 currency note bears Granahan-Dillon signatures, as well as the distinctive red seal and serial numbers unique to Legal Tender Notes

-Chris

Congrats on some fun finds. I still find war nickels once in awhile. Those always stand out when you see them in the till.

Here is what is posted on Wikipedia about the United States Notes:

"Both United States Notes and Federal Reserve Notes are parts of the national currency of the United States, and both have been legal tender since the gold recall of 1933. Both have been used in circulation as money in the same way. However, the issuing authority for them came from different statutes.[24] United States Notes were created as fiat currency, in that the government has never categorically guaranteed to redeem them for precious metal - even though at times, such as after the specie resumption of 1879, federal officials were authorized to do so if requested. The difference between a United States Note and a Federal Reserve Note is that a United States Note represented a "bill of credit" and was inserted by the Treasury directly into circulation free of interest. Federal Reserve Notes are backed by debt purchased by the Federal Reserve, and thus generate seigniorage, or interest, for the Federal Reserve System, which serves as a lending intermediary between the Treasury and the public."