• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Patience is a Challenge posted by Catbert

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

My initial and humble first Journal entry.

My goal is to build a basic type set that will give me pleasure in owning and appreciating the wonderful variety and history of U.S. coinage. Ever since I returned to collecting about 3-4 years ago after being away from the hobby since my teenage years, I've sold my Whitman folders, proof sets, and generic holdings to raise money for a few nice pieces. My approach has been quality (as I define it) over quantity.

However, this emphasis on quality has by necessity made my purchases more expensive (to suit my tastes) and thus I own only a few coins. I've also paid some expensive tuition initially in buying coins that weren't quite the quality I thought they were. I remember a PCGS XF 40 1803 Draped Bust Large Cent I purchased that had nice hair detail, but there was evidence (later discovered) that it had been "worked" over to mitigate some surface imperfections. I was educated about my oversight by Jerry Bobbe from whom I'd purchased several Conder tokens (another passion of mine).

So, I took a loss on that one to get rid of it, but it was at least a helpful learning experience.

So what about the topic of this journal entry? Well, I guess I decided to whine a bit about needing to be patient and save my money to buy that next new coin to continue my journey. I have several friends who are going to the Central States show this weekend and I told them that I can't go since I really don't want the temptation when I don't have enough money. For those of you who are in the same bucket, how do you feed the craving?

I recently enrolled as a collector member of CAC, so I'll send a few coins on to them as a palliative. They granted a green sticker to my Fugio and Antietam so I was happy about that. And, of course, I'll continue to participate on the coin boards to share in others joy for their new pieces.

Just so there is a picture to go along with this post, here is my three cent coin (via Mark Feld) that I've yet to upload a pic to my NGC set listing. The unusual woodgrain toning is not has pronounced when in hand, but is much more subtle. Also, despite the pic, there is no dark spot on the coin. I know many dislike 3 centers, but I like quirky odd denomination coins.

My best to you for taking a few minutes to read my rambling!

8704.jpg

See more journals by Catbert

Catbert,

Patience sucks!! But, we all do our best to practice this much needed skill. For me, to feed the cravings of wanting to at least work on something, I purchased a couple cheap blue whitman folders (nickels, dimes and quarters) that I fill just from pocket change. Yes I know those coins are pretty much junk, but the younger kids that my two sisters have just glow with excitement each time I get a group filled and give the filled folders to my nieces and nefews. By doing so, it feeds my coin craving and it also introduces the kids to the coins as well. Who knows, those coins may look like basement grades currently, but by the time those kids are into their 40s or 50s, they could be like the morgan dollars are to us today. You just never know. But the best part of it all is that it cures the craving and the expressions from the kids are the ultimate payoff. At least to me it is.

-Chris#2

I agree, patience sucks!! But I am fortunate that due to money being a bit tight, my collection is being built around modern coins. I love Cameos and they are easy to come by. It is still tough when I have spent my weekly budget and that perfect coin comes up. I hate having to wait!!

I am probably one of the least patient people around and often end up buying something to fill a slot I regret later because I end up having to upgrade anyway and that, in the long run, just costs more money. But, I can't help myself and I guess its all good as the money is still being spent on a rewarding hobby rather than cigarettes and beer.