• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Your Early Commemorative Coins

91 posts in this topic

The company I work for takes this day, Good Friday, as a holiday. So, I'm starting my weekend early and want to see some early commems that forum members may have. :)

You never know if a coin you post here may be in a book one day. ;)

Snagged this one at a local show:

1954WCComboB.jpg

Mark Goodman image.

Public Law 151 – 82d Congress, Chapter 408 – 1st Session, H. R. 3176

AN ACT

To amend the Act entitled “An Act to authorize the coinage of 50-cent pieces to commemorate the life and perpetuate the ideals and teachings of Booker T. Washington”, approved August 7, 1946.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That the Act entitled “An Act to authorize the coinage of 50-cent pieces to commemorate the life and perpetuate the ideals and teachings of Booker T. Washington”, approved August 7, 1946, is amended to read as follows: “That in order to commemorate the lives and perpetuate the ideals and teachings of Booker T. Washington and George Washington Carver, two great Americans, there shall be coined by the Director of the Mint (1) a number of silver 50-cent pieces equal to the number of 50-cent pieces authorized by the Act of August 7, 1946, (60 Stat. 863), but not yet coined on the date of the enactment of this Act, plus (2) an additional number of silver 50-cent pieces equal to the number of 50-cent pieces coined under such Act of August 7, 1946, and returned to the Treasury in accordance with section 5 of this Act. The silver 50-cent pieces authorized by this section shall be of standard size, weight, and fineness, and of a special appropriate design to be fixed by the Director of the Mint with the approval of the Secretary of the Treasury; but the United States shall not be subject to the expense of making the models for master dies or other preparations for the coinage authorized by this section, or to the expense of making any changes in design which may be necessitated by reason of the enactment of this Act.

“SEC. 2. The coins authorized by the first section of this Act shall be issued at par, and only upon the request of the Booker T. Washington Birthplace Memorial (established at the birthplace of Booker T. Washington in Franklin County, Virginia) and the George Washington Carver National Monument Foundation (established at the birthplace of George Washington Carver in Diamond, Missouri).

“SEC. 3. The coins authorized by the first section of this Act shall be issued in such numbers, and at such times, as shall be requested by the Booker T. Washington Birthplace Memorial and the George Washington Carver National Monument Foundation, and upon payment to the United States of the face value of such coins, except that none of such coins shall be issued after August 7, 1954.

SEC. 4. The coins authorized by the first section of this Act may be disposed of at par or at a premium by banks or trust companies selected by the Booker T. Washington Birthplace Memorial and the George Washington Carver National Monument Foundation, and all proceeds therefrom shall be used, in the manner decided upon by the Booker T. Washington Birthplace Memorial and the George Washington Carver National Monument Foundation to oppose the spread of communism among Negroes in the interest of the national defense.

“SEC. 5. (a) From and after the date of the enactment of this Act, no 50-cent pieces shall be coined under the Act of August 7, 1946.

Public Law 151

“(b) At the request of the Booker T. Washington Birthplace Memorial and the George Washington Carver National Monument Foundation, any of the 50-cent pieces coined under the Act of August 7, 1946, but on the date of the enactment of this Act not yet disposed of in accordance with such Act, shall be returned to or retained in the Treasury, and the Director of the Mint shall melt down such 50-cent pieces and use the resulting metal and material for the coinage of silver 50-cent pieces and use the resulting metal and material for the coinage of silver 50-cent pieces under the first section of this Act.

“SEC.6. All laws in force on the date of the enactment of this Act, whether penal or otherwise, relating to the subsidiary silver coins of the United States and the coining or striking thereof, regulating and guarding the process of coinage, providing for the purchase of material and for the transportation, distribution, and redemption of coins, providing for the prevention of debasement and counterfeiting and for the security of the coin, or otherwise relating to coinage, shall, insofar as they are applicable, apply to the coinage authorized by this Act.”

Approved September 21, 1951.

Public Law 455 – 83d Congress, Chapter 427 – 2d Session, S. 2845

AN ACT

All 68 Stat. 336.

To amend section 3528 of the Revised Statutes, as amended, relating to the purchase of metal for minor coins of the United States.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That section 3528 of the Revised Statutes, as amended (U. S. C., title 31, sec. 340), is hereby further amended by striking out “$1,000,000” and inserting in lieu thereof “$2,000,000”.

Approved June 30, 1954.

I'd love for this one to be in your book:

I'll tell you my thoughts on my reasoning behind coins I put in my book. #1 is that I'm a collector. I want as many different images from collectors in my book as possible. If your images are lacking, sorry, but they won't be in the book.

Publishers have certain requirements that I must abide by. I have contacted a few forum members about upgrading their images for possible inclusion in my book. If they have upgraded their images, and provided them to me, their in. If not, must not be important to them. (shrug) I consider it their loss. Who doesn't want a Plate Coin?

I'm not one to toot my own horn but, in my opinon, this book will be "The Reference Guide" for the series. It will blow all others out of the water, no disrespect intended to previous authors of the series of course. I'm just saying. A few select individuals, and my personal research, have made this journey most fufilling. It's been three plus years of agony, and I ain't done yet., lol.

No disrespect to your amazing Columbian, but right now this is the example I have in my book:

BinghamColumbianObv.jpg

Better get in now. :)

Of course, my readers, and sales, will be the deciding factor if I'm full of shi* in my statements above. ;)

Edited: As a side note, nothing in my book is final. Any and all coin images and ephemera is very welcome!!!!!!!!!!! For the first time ANYWHERE a rough Cover Image:

Cover_APR_20_2011.jpg

copyright-symbol-300x300D.jpg

Some super examples posted so far!!! :applause:

Keep them coming!

HugoObvB.jpg

PUBLIC—NO. 440—67TH CONGRESS, S. 4468

An Act To authorize the coinage of 50-cent pieces in commemoration of the three hundredth anniversary of the settling of New Netherland, the Middle States, in 1624, by Walloons, French and Belgian Huguenots, under the Dutch West India Company.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That in commemoration of the three hundredth anniversary of the settling of New Netherland, the Middle States, in 1624, by Walloons, French and Belgian Huguenots, under the Dutch West India Company, there shall be coined at the mints of the United States silver 50-cent pieces to the number of three hundred thousand, such 50-cent pieces to be of the standard troy weight, composition, diameter, device, and design as shall be fixed by the Director of the Mint, with the approval of the Secretary of the Treasury, which said 50-cent pieces shall be legal tender in any payment to the amount of their face value.

SEC. 2. That all laws now in force relating to the subsidiary silver coins of the United States and the coining or the striking of the same, regulating and guarding the process of coinage, providing for the purchase of material and for the transportation, distribution, and redemption of the coins, for the prevention of debasement or counterfeiting, for security of the coin, or for any other purposes, whether said laws are penal or otherwise, shall, so far as applicable, apply to the coinage herein authorized: Provided, That the United States shall not be subject to the expense of making the necessary dies and other preparations for this coinage.

SEC. 3. That the coins herein authorized shall be issued only upon the request of the Fifth National Bank of New York, and upon payment of the par value of such coins by such bank to the United States Treasury.

Approved, February 26, 1923.

Just back from CAC with a green bean:

23.jpg

That's a gorgeous Antietam. It's one of my favorite Commems, and I sure would love to own one like that.

Chris