• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Your Early Commemorative Coins

91 posts in this topic

I should be getting this one back from NGC today or Monday. Than I am sending it off to shane for photos. It's be sweet to have it in a book.

DSC00381.jpg

DSC00387.jpg

Lee, please do not take this the wrong way, but in looking at the prototype cover for your book it strikes me that you may want to change the commems chosen. The reason for this is that you show ten images derived from four obverse/reverse sets and then from two other coins. This type of arrangement almost makes it seem like the Wisconsin and Arkansas commems are two sides to the same coin, which of course they are not. This is of course a very picky comment and others might not agree at all, but I would probably attempt to use images from ten different type commems instead of the current setup.

By the way, I doubt I have much to offer to this thread in terms of images since I only own three mint state commems and two of them are Connecticuts.

Lee, please do not take this the wrong way, but in looking at the prototype cover for your book it strikes me that you may want to change the commems chosen. The reason for this is that you show ten images derived from four obverse/reverse sets and then from two other coins. This type of arrangement almost makes it seem like the Wisconsin and Arkansas commems are two sides to the same coin, which of course they are not. This is of course a very picky comment and others might not agree at all, but I would probably attempt to use images from ten different type commems instead of the current setup.

By the way, I doubt I have much to offer to this thread in terms of images since I only own three mint state commems and two of them are Connecticuts.

Your suggestion makes sense to me, Tom, but then I've never really had good taste. I've got two exes.

Chris

Coin arrangement already being changed Tom. Any thoughts and comments on the cover are most welcome. :)

Just want to say hi, never posted here. Got this one courtesy of Broadstruck.

Welcome to the forums and a very nice example! (thumbs u

AlabamaBothA.jpg

1921_Alabama2x2Obv.jpg

R1921_Alabama2x2Rev.jpg

Thanks all for sharing some outstanding examples!!! :applause:

Found this and thought it was pretty cool: :)

AN45223879-oz_Stacks_Commems_Wayte_Raymond.jpg

Image courtesy of Stacks Numismatics.

The Richard C. Jewell Collection - 3/8/2005 $29,900

Spectacular 48-piece set of United States commemorative half dollars, housed in two large-format Wayte Raymond boards. The set includes each major half dollar type of the classic commemorative series, 1892 through 1951. The coins were carefully selected for the Chesapeake Collection with aesthetic appeal and complete originality in mind. A survey of the set indicates an average grade of MS-64 to MS-65, and though there are exceptions on either side of this range, they are few in number. None of the coins are brilliant, though most are very lustrous. Each piece exhibits widely varying degrees of toning taking many forms, from faint pastel overtones, to mottled deeply toned surfaces. Several of those issues that were originally shipped in tab style holders now have lovely tab toning. Several types come with different dates, mints, and varieties. Those that do are identified as follows: * 1892 Columbian Exposition * 1920 Pilgrim * 1921 2X2 Alabama * 1922 Grant. With Star * 1938-S Oregon Trail * 1934 Texas * 1935-S Boone * 1937-D Arkansas * 1935-S San Diego * 1936 Cincinnati * 1939-D Columbia * 1946-D Booker T. Washington * 1952-D Carver-Washington. The holders are essentially as made, and they've been superbly cared for over the years. An exciting set of commemorative half dollars offering much in the way of quality, originality, and eye appeal. In today's marketplace such a set is almost never seen without third-party grading holders, and an intact set is rarer yet. A wonderful opportunity to acquire a really great type set with one bid. Due to the nature of the set, we recommend in-person inspection as this is the only way to fully appreciate this incredible offering. (Total: 48 pieces)

How cool that Jewell collection, as is! Do you know if it is still intact in the boards? What do you think that baby would sell for in today's market? I'm guessing something less.

Richard Jewell also had one of the top ranking commem registry sets at PCGS. MJ

I just purchased this beauty . Tell me, what is not to like about this piece ? IT's in an OGH and.............drum roll!!!!!!!! It's got that tiny little Green Bean Sticker to boot.

Just received this piece today. This is without a doubt at the very least a full grade under-graded if not a 67 . So you see, you can still find some terribly under-graded pieces in these OGH coins. A true Gem.

111704.jpg.9ed99f24c871dc882588c40d79f1ea75.jpg

111705.jpg.8455ef0a23a09f068ca61d229f5b0e44.jpg

I guess this weekend will never end. :)

An example I own that's in a Wayte Raymond Board right now:

1925SCaliforniaObvXF40A1.jpg