• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Strong Future of Coins posted by JAA

2 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It has been over a year since my last Post.

The past year really has been a big one for my collection. I was finally able to slowly expand on both of my $2.5 Dollar sets. It has also been great to see the price of both Silver and Gold climb as the majority of my numismatic holdings are still bullion coins.

I have worked to transform my collection into a collection of rarities (not that I have any true rarities). I love the designs of the modern bullion coins but at the end of the day classic rarities are just priced better. I can always pick up the bullion but it is not everyday you come across a nice quarter eagle or barber dime that fits into a set. I know most of you do favor the classics but it is wild when you spend a day at a coin shop and not a single person asks for a single coin made before 1986. (Not Saying that is a bad thing.)

I have also noticed another good trend. As a 24 year-old I sometimes feel young for the hobby but recently this has changed. More and more young people have become interested in coins thanks to all the great work the mint has done promoting their products. I also think people trust numismatics more and more with the advent of companies like NGC and PCGS. Combine a growing trust for the hobby with, record bullion prices and some classy coins from the US mint and you have what we have all been waiting for renewed passion for the hobby. Also with sites like twitter and facebook people are sharing more about the hobby online. For example my twitter account @buy_or_sell focuses on Spreading the word about alternatives to the stock market like coins and bullion.

So with my first post back I am glad to report on the strong future of coins. I hope everyone is as excited as I am for the bright future of the best hobby in the world.

8684.jpg

See more journals by JAA