• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1827 Bust Half Variety??

8 posts in this topic

I was searching my coins for varieties when I came across this half. I beleieve it may be an O-132, but it also has attributes of the O-137. The thing that is throwing me is the large sinking in the left obverse field right in front of the mouth. There is also a line from the die starting almost at 12'oclock and continuing through the cap. You can see these characteristics easily because they have turned a greenish color. So, what is it?? Thanks for your opionions.

111243.jpg.17936d9f2604bda87d7178b886cda12f.jpg

Pics are too small to be certain, but I think that there is a die line between L and I in LIBERTY on the headband and that would make this a 132

Yes there is, is that the only variety with that line? It has all the markings of a 132, I just didn't know what to make of the large sunken feature in the field. What is the correct term to describe that attribute? die sink?

No, the 131 also has that die line since it uses the same obverse die, but the T to I alignment on the reverse (plus the connection at the top of the U and N in united) makes this one 132. The sunken feature on your coin appears to either be a detatched lamination error or post mint damage. Either way, it has nothing to do with the Overton designation.