• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the best way to remove a coin???

25 posts in this topic

I have a few toned coins that in a book... I would like to remove them out of it.. but do not want to get any finger prints on them. What is the best way to put in and take coins out of books?

not to sure if I understand the question.... however...

I use gloves and I push the coin out and allow it to fall on my bed, so no damage occurs...

the gloves I use are the ones we use to use at Intel while gowning....

they can be bought at a pharmaciee (how do you spell that) supply place...

I'm drawing a blank on their name...

Hey, I've been drinking waiting on the NCAA Basketball Championship....

I was more talking about like Dansco Albums... They make it sorta hard to get the coins in and out..... Will gloves leave a smudge on the coin?

The method I use is to take a clean dollar size 2X2 and carefully place the window of the 2x2 over the coin. I than slowly and carefully press the coin into or out of the album. Don’t let the 2x2’s window slide on the coins surface while you are putting pressure on it or you could harm the coins luster.

John

The method I use is to take a clean dollar size 2X2 and carefully place the window of the 2x2 over the coin. I than slowly and carefully press the coin into or out of the album. Don’t let the 2x2’s window slide on the coins surface while you are putting pressure on it or you could harm the coins luster.

John

Thx for the information...

John

Heh Heh...

one of my Intel buddys just reminded me...

They are latex gloves, if you double glove they will not affect the coin at all....

we used these to handle quartz that had to be protected from Sodium or any other contaminant........

Lucy,

A possible problem with using latex gloves is that most latex gloves have a coating of fine talcum powder on them to make it easier to put them on. I would be very concerned about getting any of this fine powder on the coins surface, where it would attract and retain moisture, which could cause spots and or corrosion.

John

One thing you should be careful of, and many people forget this, is to have both sides of the coin carefully nestled within the cutout and away from the acetate sleeve before you do anything else. Keep the coin in the center of the hole so that when you remove the sleeve you don't impart hairlines on the piece.

I remove the acetate sleeves from both the obverse and reverse and then use a single lens cleaning tissue, though other materials will also work, and place the tissue between my finger and the coin. Then I firmly, so that the tissue doesn't slip, press down on the coin and remove it from the album. I leave a piece of velvet beneath the coin for it to fall on, should it fall out. This works very well.

Lucy,

A possible problem with using latex gloves is that most latex gloves have a coating of fine talcum powder on them to make it easier to put them on. I would be very concerned about getting any of this fine powder on the coins surface, where it would attract and retain moisture, which could cause spots and or corrosion.

John

I couldn't disagree more with this....

Intel conducted several studies and the cleanroom grade gloves that we used absolutely did no harm to our quartz, specifically for our A level Gate ox Furnace which happened to be the most critical layer of a Pentium...

These gloves can be bought and I have used them in removing coins and they have never caused a problem.

At intel we would run a Gate Oxide Monitor after installing the quartz to check for various contaminates and none were or have been found as a result of using these gloves...

Lucy,

Note that I said ‘most’ latex gloves. I fully believe that a chip maker like Intel uses special clean room grade gloves that do not have any contaminates on them, and if someone uses these gloves there should be no problem, but most latex gloves that are commonly found in stores are not of the same quality that are used in clean rooms. It is that type of glove with the talcum powder on them that I was cautioning about.

John

Lucy,

Note that I said ‘most’ latex gloves. I fully believe that a chip maker like Intel uses special clean room grade gloves that do not have any contaminates on them, and if someone uses these gloves there should be no problem, but the most latex gloves that are commonly found in stores are not of the same quality that are used in clean rooms. It is that type of glove with the talcum powder on them that I was cautioning about.

John

The gloves that Intel uses can be bought at any Pharmaciee (Ican't spell this) supply center as they are the same that are used by surgeons in their cleanrooms.

If you buy these at a Surgical supply center they do not have talcum powder...

I'll go a step further and tell you that I was involved in this study becuase we use to use a solvent glove that indeed did leave a residue on our quartz, we sampled many vendors for the latex gloves and I am unaware of any that contained a talcum powder of any sort. I am not ruling it out, but in my experience, I have never ever seen a latex glove that is laden with talcum powder....

The gloves that Intel uses and the many Hospitals can be bought very very cheaply.....

I strongly recommend them and I know without a shadow of a doubt, they are very stable and safe...

btw, when we made this transition I was very skeptical......

But the data that we got convinced me as to the cleanliness of these gloves.

Again, any surgical supply center sells them very very cheap, and they are cleanroom quality...

Lucy,

Again, I don’t doubt what you are saying about the type of latex gloves that are used in clean rooms and by surgeons. But I can tell you that I buy latex gloves all the time for use in my home workshop and around the car, and these gloves absolutely have talcum powder on them. My point was that not everyone might know that there are different grades of latex gloves, and that they should not use the type with talcum powder on them that is commonly found at home depot or the auto parts store.

John

Many brands of latex gloves contain powder, however, not all of them do. I happen to use Evolution One MicroFlex powder-free latex gloves. They don't irritate my hands, like most gloves with powder do, yet they allow me to make precise movements while wearing them. I highly recommend them! thumbsup2.gif

Lucy,

Again, I don’t doubt what you are saying about the type of latex gloves that are used in clean rooms and by surgeons. But I can tell you that I buy latex gloves all the time for use in my home workshop and around the car, and these gloves absolutely have talcum powder on them. My point was that not everyone might know that are different grades of latex gloves, and that they should not use the type with talcum powder on them that is commonly found at home depot or the auto parts store.

John

If you go back to my original post on this subject and my recommendation, I never recommended buying them at home depot or a auto parts store....

Now when I goto Lowes to pay my bill, I'll check out what they sell, as I do doubt there gloves are laden with talcum powder.... Interesting to me that a vendor would do this when they are people that have reactions to talcum powder.... But, I can't at this point rule it out....

We sampled many vendors for quality and price, I remember this very well...

I do not believe any of these Vendors offered a talcum powdered laced glove, but, again, this is why I recommended a surgical supply center.....

I'll say yet again, these gloves are easily and cheaply bought and are absolutely safe for the handling of coins.....

They are what I use for my coins and have used for many years and there are no issues what-so-ever with them.

Lucy,

I never said that you did recommend buying them at home depot or a auto parts store, and I will say yet again that I was only tiring to caution people about using the type with the powder, but hey to each their own. confused-smiley-013.gif

John

Well your right, if these gloves can be had with a powder of any sort these should be avoided.....and it is right of you to throw that caution flag out there...

They are rather easily found without any type of powder......

and highly recommended by me atleast....

My personal choice is the use of 100% cotton lisle gloves. They're sort of like a golf glove but much looser fitting and thinner. They work very well for what you posted but would be clumsy if you have small hands like I do (one size does NOT fit all) and/or use them for anything more then what you intend. And VERY cheap! Bought 2 dozen for $6. If they ever get contaminated from any liquid including oil/sweat from your hands, just toss and put on another pair.

Would still go with Lucys choice of latex, especially if you will be handling many coins over a long period of time. Maybe not better for the hands, but much better for delicate and prolonged coin handling.

David;)

How about rubbers! Would they work? 27_laughing.gif You know, the finger type! I can't recall who sells them.

What are we talking about here, $20 coins? 27_laughing.gif I have never used gloves of any kind! Perhaps I've never handled a zillion dollar coin! 27_laughing.gif It is difficult to imagine all you folks going thru the trouble with these gloves! Hell, pcgs doesn't use them! 27_laughing.gif Just be very careful and get the coin situated where you can get a hold of it by the sides! For a fact, many good words of advice here, you wouldn't find anywhere else. 27_laughing.gif

Leo

I have used the latex gloves purchased at out local Walgreens RX store and they do have powder on them. After doning the gloves I wash my hands to remove the powder. This assuers me there is no contaminant that will transfer to the coin. gossip.gif

Use cotton gloves. You can obtain them from a photographic supply store or from coin supply merchants on the web.

Beijim

heck, I will add my 2 cents...

In the photography industry, we used cotton gloves. I also did a good deal of automotive work and find that latex gloves have allowed oils to pass through the latex and onto the skin. Latex also made my hands sweat....

If I had a choice, I would go with the cotton gloves.

Dave