• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Milk spot question.

7 posts in this topic

I've been collecting proof cameo coinage from the '50's and '60's for literally decades, so I'm pretty well up on milk spotting. However, something happened to me recently that I haven't seen happen before, and I'd like your thoughts on the issue. I've owned an NGC PR67UCAM 1958 Franklin for 5ish years. I knew that originally it had been in PCGS PR67DCAM holder and the previous dealer, thinking it was clean enough to PR68UCAM, sent it in to NGC hoping for an upgrade. Needless to say, it didn't. About 1.5 years ago I sent it in to PCGS (while still in it's NGC plastic) to recross and it did.

The problem is that I recently looked at it in my SDB and I noticed all sort of milk spots developing. Now clearly the coin had been stable for YEARS in it's previous incarnations in PCGS and NGC plastic, so the concept of milk spots developing on it didn't even occur to me. Normally a proof from the '50's and '60's, if it's going to develop milk spots, will develop milk spots relatively quickly after it's been taken out of whatever original packaging it's been in. The size of the spots are quite small, but there are Quite a few. I'm kind of wondering if a grader sneezed or whatever. PR67DCAM Franklins are a rare bird, and are worth a decent chunk of change because of that. Generally once milk spots develop you can't get rid of them, so I'm kind of wondering what to do. Any thoughts???

I realize this does not answer your query, Sy, but I remember someone on this forum claimed to have a cure for milkspots(at least on ASE's). I cannot remember who that it was but they had cleaned many ASE's at the time. Then my memory is not what it used to be. The reason I say so, is that if true then Jason might have the best answer.

Jim

I would send it in for the guarantee with the request that they send you the coin back. Then send it to NCS.

I don't think NCS or anyone else can remove milk spots.

I would send it in for the guarantee with the request that they send you the coin back. Then send it to NCS.

I don't think NCS or anyone else can remove milk spots.

If they developed in the holder recently, they are most likely not "milk spots" in that sense of the term. They are probably cloudy spots due to some environmental contamination, as Sy suggests. True milk spots are mint made defects, and nothing will eradicate them.