• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jefferson Nickel up for sale.

11 posts in this topic

This piece should easily command MS 66 money, IMHO The photo's provided don't accurately portray the premium quality of this piece. Since this has not sold at the $89.00 price tag I was willing to let it go for, I will gladly just keep this with my collection and perhaps invest a few more dollars and have it's eye appealing characteristics captured by a professional Numismatic Photographer. Additionally, out of the 402 MS65 PCGS Graded examples, this is the single lone piece designated with the (+) symbol. So even in that context, it is a standout example. I believe the PCGS Price guide indicates in MS65+ suggests a $72.00 price tag, and in 66 roughly $180.00 Than we have the toning factor, which personally is extremely appealing to me. While the issue doesn't make a significant mark on the Rarity scale, I think it's a pretty spectacular looking coin IMHO, and worth the premium asked for an issue that sports a mere 1,300 survivors in all grades, PCGS & NGC combined. I'm sure others may disagree.

I'm simply incapable of the needed talent to do so. Thanks for asking though James, it's a valid question no doubt.

There are roughly only a total of 600 pieces in higher grades. So Catching one at auction is somewhat a limited possibility . In 67 there are 105 total authenticated by PCGS & NGC and they go for four times the asking price of this 65 which is a significant amount of money for some people. For the Grade and Quality of this example, a $100.00 is a bargain and $89.00 is a huge win-win. I read an interesting recent Post by Don Willis, ATS directly discussing these + designated Coins. It's a informative read and would suggest taking a moment to do so. In any event, I'll gladly tuck this piece away or perhaps gift it to someone who will be around in ten or 15 years , which I'm confident I won't. Both the Market and Dealers just might have more of an interest in these such designated coins by than, just as they still do for some OGH encapsulated pieces. I recently bought one, which was appraised a bump in grade, by three independent dealers with strong offers to buy at the upper grade. I refused the offers at this time.

Anyway, Thanks for the comments in reply to this post.

I never understand why collectors try to pry the max money out of other collectors, rather than sell for a fair price and foster good will in the process.

Is $20 really worth all the effort in explaining your high price and prolonging an otherwise easy deal?

High price ? What do you think a Professional Deal would sell this for ? This particular coin is in the top 15 % for the grade and worth the slight premium asked. Since these Plus graded encapsulated Coins are fairly new to the Market, I can somewhat understand why someone fails to recognize not only the " Potential " but also a fair market price at this time.

No, I'm not looking for the " Easy Deal " . But I hope at the very least some may start to understand not only the reasoning behind this designation, but also see upside potential in acquiring such pieces. But perhaps this discussion of this subject matter is better to come to a close here. I Buy the Coins, both PCGS & NGC if I believe them either good or much better for grade. This was one such coin for me, and I realize that since this is the NGC forums, this discussion may not be welcomed or well received. But I buy and sell coins from both sides of the street. It's not a mortal sin you know . lol