• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1648 Louis D'OR

6 posts in this topic

444444-1648_Louis_D%5C%27OR_obv.jpg

444444-1648_Louis_D%5C%27OR_rev.jpg

Since JJ did such a bang up job with his write up on Leopold - I thought it only fitting that Leopold's opponent, Louis XIV, should have equal time wink.gif

Louis ascended the throne at the tender age of 5, but left the affairs of the country to his Regent until the Regent died in 1661. Then at the age of 22 Louis assumed power in a way unprecedented in France.

He was a very vain man who loved the virtual adulation of his subjects and was constantly striving for glory. Thus his love of battle and war. Prior to Louis the French nobles had a certain amount of power, but he was quick to change this. He summoned the nobles to court where they came under his control and he held sway over them by granting them additional titles, honrary positions and money. Louis ruled France with an iron hand wrapped in a velvet glove. No decision was made without his approval.

To prevent the army from rebelling under the lead of its commanders, Louis saw to it that, for every colonel drawn from a great noble family, there was an experienced lieutenant-colonel drawn from one of the lesser noble families who owed his advancement to royal favor. Troops were raised and paid in the name of their king, not their captain. Uniforms came into frequent use for the first time, and some barracks were built to house the troops. Inspectors were sent out from the royal council to make certain that regulations were complied with. These measures made for obedient officers and disciplined soldiers. No longer would an army follow its commander into revolt against the king, and the crown had an effective force that would be used for military conquest and the suppression of rebellions.

In time Louis became the most admired and single most powerful ruler in Europe. His influence over the arts are still felt today. Perhaps one of his greatest achievements in this area was the palace at Versailles. It was large, so large that it took 35,000 people more than three decades to build it. The interior was magnificently furnished with mosaics, paintings, and mirrors. surrounding the palace were acres of gardens, lakes, and fountains. The cost in lives and money was staggering, but Louis pushed the work to completion, for here was a palace suitable for the greatest of kings.

edit - no idea what's up with the images today - had to do this the hard way 893frustrated.gif

589a8c07a0c36_444444-1648_Louis_DOR_rev.jpg.2f65b14fa963a03b863d67841ea67cb5.jpg

That's one sharp looking gold piece! What's your opinion of the grade? Minted the same year as the Peace of Westphelia where the French concluded a successful peace to end the Thirty Years' War.

I recall you having German, Dutch, and now French gold coins, what's next? Italian? Turkish? Austrian? Gold Plated Statehood Quarters? insane.gif

Happy to see I've had a good influence on you, I enjoyed the historical writeup and hope you have the inclination to write additional peices to accompany your coin posts.

-JamminJ

As for the grade - I think it a high EF. But a dealer friend says AU. Doesn't really matter to me - I like it cloud9.gif

I recall you having German, Dutch, and now French gold coins, what's next? Italian? Turkish? Austrian? Gold Plated Statehood Quarters?

I've been working on the French stuff for some time JJ - you're just not paying attention grin.gif I especially like this one partly because Louie was only 10 at the time.

I also own several Austrian gold coins - and some Swiss. And we might as well throw in a couple of British pieces while we're at it. So far no Turkish or Italian - but I've looked at the Ventian ducats more than once. In short - if I like the design - I buy it.

As for the write ups - there's not that much to say about some coins - but for the special ones - sure, you bet wink.gif

I've been working on the French stuff for some time JJ - you're just not paying attention grin.gif I especially like this one partly because Louie was only 10 at the time.

I must have been sleeping through the French stuff. confused-smiley-013.gif I also like the boy king portrait.

I also own several Austrian gold coins - and some Swiss. And we might as well throw in a couple of British pieces while we're at it. So far no Turkish or Italian - but I've looked at the Ventian ducats more than once. In short - if I like the design - I buy it.

Can't go wrong just buying coins you like! I found it liberating to break with a "fill the next hole" mindset.

One week I was visiting my local coin shop and the owner had bought a new collection: a one per country gold coin collection. Lots of the common early 20th century stuff (Roosters, sovereigns, ducats), even more modern NCLT but quite a few old historical coins as well. You would have enjoyed seeing it.

As for the write ups - there's not that much to say about some coins - but for the special ones - sure, you bet wink.gif

Don't let the lack of a story prevent a cool coin post!

-JamminJ