• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1891-O Seated Dime

12 posts in this topic

I have run into a couple of coins with similar toning. I don't think it's artificial...but the light spots make it hard to tell the difference between wear on the high points, and what's just light toning. there's some nicks on her shin...i would say ms60-61...depending on the toning...

I think this puppy looks 100% original. I wouldn't worry about artificial toning. Any old silver coin looks exactly like this one toning-wise.

Thanks for your feedback... I'm still not convinced it's original toning.

Any thoughts about a grade?

Not really a series I collect ,although I have a few seated halves and overall I really like seated coinage, I think it's in the AU50-AU53 ballpark.

**edited to add, as for the toning, probably dipped at some point & re-toned

I give it a technical grade of XF 40. Based on the photo the coin has details of a better grade but absolutely no luster. As for the tone – good chance the coin was cleaned a long time ago and toned over. I would have to see the coin in hand however I do not find the tone of this coin to be appealing.

I give it a technical grade of XF 40. Based on the photo the coin has details of a better grade but absolutely no luster. As for the tone – good chance the coin was cleaned a long time ago and toned over. I would have to see the coin in hand however I do not find the tone of this coin to be appealing.

I agree with both Mark and James. The coin is a technical XF40 with VF details.

Even if the piece has AU details, it's worth no more than EF money. The toning does not look attractive to me going by the picture. As such it kind falls in the slightly better than common date category. This coin is really only important in the Mint State grades. In the circulated grades it's fairly ordinary.