• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Net Grading Old Copper...

8 posts in this topic

I'm still new to coin collecting, so please dont hang me for saying this. But, I dont think it would grade if submited, looks like it was cleaned rather roughly at some point. But if it did get a grade, I would say around the same as SouthFlorida guy, vg10

Sharpness of F-12, but obviously scored, or cleaned with extreme harshness. As is, perhaps a net grade of 5 ("good") is appropriate.

This is the kind of coin that NEEDS to be doctored, if there is a desire to restore it to collectability. It needs to be carefully burnished, then nicely recolored. It would never look ideal, but it would look much better.

At times, there IS a need for coins to be "doctored" in this hobby.

Sharpness of F-12, but obviously scored, or cleaned with extreme harshness. As is, perhaps a net grade of 5 ("good") is appropriate.

This is the kind of coin that NEEDS to be doctored, if there is a desire to restore it to collectability. It needs to be carefully burnished, then nicely recolored. It would never look ideal, but it would look much better.

At times, there IS a need for coins to be "doctored" in this hobby.

Is this something that NCS would do or is this something better suited to be done at home?

Are there any other conservation tricks?

NCS doesn't do what I've described, because it is coin doctoring, not coin conservation. You would have to look for someone to restore the coin for you.

Maybe www.crs-stockton.com can help.

NCS doesn't do what I've described, because it is coin doctoring, not coin conservation. You would have to look for someone to restore the coin for you.

Maybe www.crs-stockton.com can help.

Great, thanks for the heads-up!