• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Yen for Japanese Silver

4 posts in this topic

And Chop Marks.

Folks, I am about to send 8 Japanese Silver Yen and 1 Japanese Trade Dollar to NGC for grading. For the most part they are going to come back as Details graded because almost every one of them has light, to moderate, and in the case of the Trade Dollar, heavy chop marks. I found an excellent page on the net to help with the dating. Most were from the Meiji period (up til 1911 with one of the coins being a Taisho coin from 1914. All these coins are 900 fine silver dollar size and all are part of my larger collection of chop marked trade coins.

I am still waiting for the return of 2 British Trade Dollars and a Straits Settlement Trade Dollar I sent in at the end of February. I can't wait to get these coins in a new custom set. I have always loved my trade dollar collection. I will post pics of the first group as I requested photo service from NGC.

this custom set, when its finished, is going to include pictures of each coin, a full description of each coin, and even a little history of the issuing authority.

My other collections are fun, my chop marked trade coins are my passion.

8592.jpg

See more journals by Beaw

Hi Malcolm,

I look forward to seeing this set develop! I don't know much about Trade Dollars, but this sounds like a VERY interesting and unique collection!

Cheers,

-Brandon

This is really cool, and I also look forward to seeing your set develop. I love the flexibility custom sets give you to design something unique and in your case educational to. Best wishes!

Gary

Thanks Guys, I can honestly say that the Trade coins kept me in the hobby when I was plain bored with my U.S. collection. I happened to come across a copy of a book called United States Trade Dollars by John Willem. The book not only gave a detailed account of the U.S. Trade Dollar but also described the Trade Dollars of other countries. Passion reignited, I started the collection with a British Trade Dollar, Been loving those coins ever since.

Malcolm