• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PCGS vs. NGC Part III posted by TD Henson

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Wow! Lots of comments and opinions.

Received the entire gamut of responses from this is a stupid and foolish endeavor to real opinions of grade and condition.

The overall intent of this exercise and the reason for the "stupid blow ups" was to show the real discrepancies in the photo. This is what you and I and the TPG will/should see when reviewing the coins through a 10X loupe. Full size photos of coins can easily hide many imperfections as many of us undoubtedly have seen when buying coins off the Internet.

I've been highly disappointed in the last two PCGS coins I've bought. One of them was a 2010-D PCGS MS 69 FT SMS Roosevelt dime that I would grade no higher than MS 68 FT because of multiple contact marks, small but many.

Now back to the 1973 Roosevelts - I've focused on the obverse of these dimes, but the reverse of each grade wise is comparable to the obverse.

1973 NGC Roosevelt - submitted by me - MS 66 - of which I agree - this dime is close to PL and FT but not strong enough for either to warrant the additional designation.

1973 PCGS Roosevelt - bought from eBay - MS 66 FB - of which I don't agree with either the grade or designation. I think the coin is barely MS 65.

This is a perfect example of buying the coin and not the holder, in my opinion. I usually stay away from PCGS because of inflated prices, so when you couple an inflated grade it equals a complete loser of a coin.

Sorry if this whole line of posts bores you and thanks to all those that responded positively.

Todd

8588.jpg

See more journals by TD Henson

Keep on asking questions and enjoying all aspects of the hobby Todd. I appreciate

your attempt to add a little investigative fun to our Journal.

Yes. They are that severe - including the patch in the hair. The scrape in front of the ear is just that a scrape - it actually pushes surface metal with it...

I agree. I deemed the one on the left to be better two and deserving of the MS 66 grade assigned. I think the PCGS coin was the victim of grade flation.