• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Introduction/Few questions:

12 posts in this topic

Hello all!

I'm a relatively new collector.I just though I'd introduce myself here since I've found myself on the boards quite often since I signed up.

My father passed a few years ago and last year my mom sent me his collection. I never knew what he had, or what anything in the coin world meant. I will say that I grew up knowing that he was a collector and he'd always make me check my change for pre 65's.

I have this haunting memory of being 8-10 years old and taking a few of my friends in the neighborhood into his closet and pulling out several boxes of coins and trading the coins for basketball cards....that was after we removed them from their "stupid cardboard holders", and pretended we were rich by throwing the money in the air. ....sigh.

Anyway, when I received what was left of my dad's coins, I caught the bug. A bug that I had been fighting for a long time. Is coin collecting genetic?? I DOVE head-first into spreadsheets of what I had of my dad's and checked out books from the library(remember the library?) to better understand the basics, lot's of research online. I made some STUPID moves with a few items, some SMART moves. I'm just LOVING this hobby, nay, lifestyle. I mean, I'm 27 in Los Angeles. Shouldn't I be at the club on a Friday night? Nope, I'm going through rolls of Kennedys. At first my fiance HATED my new interest, but she's opened up to the excitement when I find something special. But mainly she asks me when I'm gonna sell it. One day honey, one day.

I've been to the last 6 Long Beach CC. I just have so much fun. But I don't know why I keep going on a Sunday since everyone starts packing up 2 hours into the day. I do feel like a total nerd because none of my friends understand what treasures coins are historically, monetarily, and visually. I am so pleased with my collection so far, and look forward to the years of enjoyment in this community.

Question time:

- I'd like to share a few items on the board, but don't know how to add an image into the message. I just know how to add a link. HELP?

- Also, has anyone ever heard of a proof grading PF70 after it's been conserved? maybe a really stupid question, sorry chaps. I just have a few oldies with distracting haze, but don't know if they're worth the $$. Thoughts?

Welcome to the forum!!!

For your first question go to photo hosting site like photobucket.

Then all you have to do is copy and past the img code.

and for your second question....no.

Don't waste your money trying to conserve any modern coins.

It is easier to just to keep searching sets for better coins.

Question time:

- I'd like to share a few items on the board, but don't know how to add an image into the message ?

Under the post box you'll see " File manager". Click on that to upload pictures from your comp.

Or you can use the "image icon" to post pictures from image shack ect ect

Welcome aboard! :hi:

... and yes, many people will think you are a total geek/nerd for collecting. OTOH you'll meet a fair amount of people, particularly on the boards, who think that your coin "xyz" is just ABSOLUTELY fabulous and want to get together with you and want to talk coins.

Your fiancee will eventually either 1) get the bug, 2) roll her eyes, but accept that you've got the bug and be glad that it makes you happy, or 3) start insisting that you spend the money elsewhere. Don't be surprised if/when you have kids that your coin collecting goes into remission for awhile, but pops up again once the kids are (mainly) out of the house. Have fun with your collecting, and the boards here and ATS are a great place to be!

Welcome and Congrats !

A supportive fiance is very important to your new budding hobby. If she supports it you will find much more happiness then if she doesnt...

My fiance will sometimes go to shows with me and scout for toners. She has a good eye and knows what I like. Having 2 sets of eyes is sometimes better !

There are now a lot of local LA shows you can go to beyond just LB. People usually post info about them on the boards. I would also suggest getting a subscription to http://www.coinworld.com/ to keep update with all the shows.

Good luck and happy hunting !

Welcome. I too am newbie to this coin collecting. I mean with grading and all. I just like to collect different coins, but now I'm hooked on having the coins graded. With that I have a coin 1912-s $5 Indian slabbed NGC XF45. Is it worth to have it change to 'weak s' variety?

Need help!! Thanks all!!

Michael

One more question. How do you know what should be or not slabbed?

Is there a good book to study?

Thanks.

Michael

I cant think of any books. Most people say the coin should be worth more than $100 and some say $250.

I slab anything I want to slab. I don't worry if the slab adds any value.