• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC and Territories

3 posts in this topic

Nice addition to 21st Century Type Set

The quarter designs post-1998 really haven't piqued my interest too much (Statehood, Territories, and now America the Beautiful). I know the Statehood Quarters series really rekindled a lot of interest in coin collecting, but I could never keep up. And, I'm much more of a traditionalist. I like designs that stick around and become "classic" and part of the fabric of the U.S. culture. I kind of miss that beautiful 1932-1998 eagle reverse. Again, I'm grateful to the interest this series brought to coin collecting, but I didn't jump on that train...

BUT, I did need an example of the DC/Territories (2009) quarter for my 21st Century Type Set. After considering all of the 6 options for that year, I chose the Virgin Islands design. I think this is partly due to the beautiful reverse evoking a longing for somewhere warm and tropical. Winters in Minnesota can do this to you...

My new beautiful addition is below.

Cheers!

8510.jpg

See more journals by brg5658

That is a nice design and kind of reminds me of why I like the Hawaii State Quarter so much, Just reminded me of those beautiful islands while also paying homage to the 1928 Hawaiian Half Dollar.

I agree 100%. I also love the Hawaii SQ design, and I have an SP69 Satin example coming sometime in the next week! Not to be negative, but there are several of the State Quarters that I really do not like design-wise. For example, I think the Ohio design is a garbled mess...but who am I, right?

I guess I'm just partial to the designs that are artistically complex (e.g., I love the nature design of the Oklahoma quarter), or have a real classic component (e.g., the figure of the King on the Hawaii quarter evokes thoughts of history/heraldry and even some Roman design).