• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Thrill of 70 or the Agony of Declean. posted by fiftyactionexpress

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Cleaned coins

I recently sent in 4 coins all Washington Quarters (1932D, 1932S, 1932S, and 1936D). I suspected one coin of being cleaned but not all of them. All came back details graded. 3 XF details and 1 AU Details with 3 Improperly Cleaned and 1 OBV Scratch. Guess I need to learn how to spot a cleaned coin before I buy them and send them off to be graded. Any tips on spotting cleaned coins? I have a 30X21 loupe as well as a Dinolite Microscope and am waiting to get these back so I can inspect and compare them to quarters I have graded already to see the differences.

See more journals by fiftyactionexpress

In my experience, the cleaned coins, especially the XF or AU graded, seem to have a flat appearance even in the deep recesses where you can usually still see traces of original toning on non-cleaned coins. I am doing better at recognizing it but still submit nicer coins for grading because they still seem to sell at decent prices on EBAY.

I have two more submissions out. One with some more Washington Quarters and one with some Canadian Bullion. Took the Canadian Bullion straight out of RCM Packaging so it should be good. But am curious about the other quarters. Scheduled for grading so we will see. Thanks Everyone.