• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Indian today... Take a look at this beauty....

15 posts in this topic

It's a nice coin, but it's got a bad spot of verdigris on the center of the bow and another, more minor spot, near the top of the wreath. It could be PVC, but I'm betting against it.

Unfortunately, there really isn't a good way to remove it. The spot on the bow looks pretty decent in size, so it has likely been there for a while.

If it's PVC, and I don't think it is, then you can let the coin sit in acetone for a bit, change the acetone and rinse a little more and then rinse with cold water and give a final rinse with acetone. It will dry on its own. Please keep in mind that acetone is extremely flammable and should only be used away from all sources of ignition such as flames or sparks and should also only be used with adequate ventilation. Acetone will evaporate very quickly in open air and is completely soluble in water.

If it's verdigris, you might be able to leave it sit in a shallow dish of olive oil for a few days and then gently rinse the oil off the coin. You may be able to get some or most of the encrustation off that way. However, in either case, PVC or verdigris, you will likely have a scar on the coin from where the elemental copper was digested.

My advice is to leave the coin alone or have someone who is more experienced show you how to do this.

OK I am not an Indian expert when it comes to the higher end... What is the first part of a coin to show wear? and what would you grade this one? Thx in advance..

Since Brucewear is now collecting IHC, he should dispose of his Buffalos. Which, of course, means he sold sell off his "avatar" Buff to good ol' jom. heh.

jom

I am getting spread pretty thin.... For now the buffalo's are on the backburner... I got to finish the lincoln off then work on the IHC's... then the buffs come...

OK I am not an Indian expert when it comes to the higher end... What is the first part of a coin to show wear? and what would you grade this one? Thx in advance..
Right above the ear, the lowest lock of hair (basically on the neck), and on the reverse, the bottom center thing... what is it, a tie holding the wreath?

Anyway, you're looks UNC.