• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first time cleaning coins

2 posts in this topic

With the recent run up in silver, and a rainy long weekend in SoCal, I pulled out some Mexican “Hidalgo Grande” 5 Pesos I bought a few years ago. Some of the coins were GREEN. I put the greenies in quart canning jars (minus the 1954s), and filled them with acetone. Covered the jars, let them cook for a day, poured off the acetone and repeated twice.

This stuff works!!! I mean these were mossy green, only a couple have a slight haze now. I can see no “damage” except maybe from jostling in jars.

I’ve read through previous threads on this topic and am considering acetone baths for collectable bronze and silver. Is there a downside? I will be more careful with anything of real numismatic value.

As a general rule, it's best not to clean your coins. That being said, when dealing with coins of no numismatic value, I don't see the harm in it.

Andy