• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I bought the slab...not the coin! posted by NAS Fallon Firefighter

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

...a different way to add a coin to my collection.

Hi everyone,

It's been awhile since I posted anything here or bought a coin. Most of my time over that last few weeks was spent organizing my collection of Star Trek themed Starship Christmas ornaments. Only need 2 more to finish up that collection. One I need is the first year that the series was introduced so that is not going to be cheap.

When my attention came back to coins, I was looking for 2005 John Marshall MS70 commemorative. I came across a coin in a butt ugly piece of plastic. The auction stated that the plastic was scratched, had lots of residue left over from stickers, and some dings around the edges but the coin was fine. It was BIN for about $50. I figured why not...everything else I was watching went for $80 above...so I pulled the trigger on this coin. Well, when I had it in hand, the seller was correct! It is one ugly holder, but looking at the coin from all angles...it looks unharmed with no marks. So it will be going out with a few other coins to get some new plastic along with a few to get graded. I think I did ok with this purchase. For about an additional $10 for slabbing, shipping, and insurance I get an MS70 in a new holder.

The picture does it no justice...the holder is much uglier in hand!

8416.JPG

See more journals by NAS Fallon Firefighter

You might try Slab Renew. It's on ebay for like $14.95 plus s/h.

I hear it works wonders on even some nastier looking slabs than yours. It's just a thought.

I did clean it up and it improved the look but some marks on the back are there for good....thanks

I collect sports cards as well as coins. I've found that "team set bags" which are clear plastic envelopes with a sticky self sealing strip, fit perfectly around both PCGS & NGC coin slabs. By individually wrapping each slab it prevents slab to slab contact, no scratches. This won't help you in this instance, but it will prevent any future damage to the rest of your collection.

I collect sports cards as well as coins. I've found that "team set bags" which are clear plastic envelopes with a sticky self sealing strip, fit perfectly around both PCGS & NGC coin slabs. By individually wrapping each slab it prevents slab to slab contact, no scratches. This won't help you in this instance, but it will prevent any future damage to the rest of your collection.

thanks for the info