• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why the U.S. Mint has lost my business posted by Beaw

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

and taught me a lesson about loyalty.

For many years, starting in 1969 when my Dad ordered me my first proof set, I have been a loyal customer of the U.S. Mint accumulating proof sets, mint sets, Bicentennial 3 Coin sets, and just about every other numismatic product they made available. Much of this was motivated by the desire for completeness but some of this was also motivated by a sense that my purchases from the Mint would be, somehow, appreciated and eventually rewarded with great coinage.

I remember being so thrilled in 1981 when the first word started breaking in the Numismatic Press about the 1982 Commemorative Washington Half Dollar. I had collected some of the first generation Commemoratives so the very idea that the Mint would resume production of Commemorative Halves was a dream come true.

The Washington Half was not a bad design but it certainly didn't have the classic feel of the earlier Commemorative Coins, but hope springs eternal and I thought the new renaissance had begun. I eagerly bought the LA Olympics issues, the Statue of Liberty Issues, etc. etc. until I had purchased at least one Commemorative from every year up until last year. Now, I must admit, I wised up somewhere about 1998 and started buying from dealers for much lower prices than the Mint issue price.

But my loyalty to the Mint was finally shattered by the sheer unrelenting ordinariness of their designs. Here's an example, take a look at the detail and artistry of the 1925 Stone Mountain, 1936 Gettysburg, and 1937 Antietem Halves, and compare them to the artistry and detail exhibited in the 1995 Civil War Half, Dollar, and Five Dollar Gold. I think you'll agree with me that the 1995 designs are cookie cutter boring in comparison. Here are some more examples, 1918 Lincoln/Illinois compared to 2009 Lincoln Bicentennial or 1926 Oregon Trail compared to 2004 Lewis and Clark, in each case the former is much better than the latter. Until the Mint infuses true artistry back into their designs, they have lost me as a customer.

Funny how the Government almost always disappoints. Happy Collecting everyone.

Malcolm

8412.gif

See more journals by Beaw

I agree with you completely. I bought U.S. Mint commemoratives for years and I regret it now. The designs were boring, and when I sold all of them last year, I would have lost money if it were not for the steep increase in the price of gold. Modern commemoratives have nothing in common with the classic commemoratives that were issued until 1954. I have promised myself that I will buy no more U.S. Mint products except Mint Sets and Proof Sets.

In all fairness Malcolm, you took the best designs from the classic commems and compared them to some of the worst designs form the modern commems. What happens when you compare a coin like the 1936 Rhode Island to the 2000 Leif Ericson? I think that if you really view the designs objectively, both classics and modern commems have dogs and both have some superstars as well. I am a collector of classic commems and only own one modern, but I think the design is very good.

thJefferson1993-PPCGSMS69.jpg

I agree also.

I have the modern commemorative halves, and they are lackluster compared to their predecessors.

All of our modern issues are redundant of an old theme. The new quarters and Presidential dollars are just making sets so expensive and huge to have graded. Buying from a dealer is expensive, but selectively so. I have not only cancelled my subscriptions with the Mint, I am also liquidating my collection.

It is a shame to lose the zeal that I once had for this hobby.

Hi Lehigh96, I actually tried to make a fair comparison of similarly themed coins rather than picking out gems versus dogs. I grant you that the first generation commemoratives had its share of dogs but the best of the first generation is far better than the best of the current crop. Also consider that the current commemoratives are mostly rendered on the much larger Dollar format while the first generation were almost all rendered on the Half Dollar format, so the opportunity for greater artistry or greater failure is present.

In any event, your thoughts are appreciated and duly noted. BTW, that Jefferson Dollar is a nice design. Maybe the difference is the lack of overall detail (due to differing engraving methods?) on modern commemoratives vice first generation commemoratives.

Hi Lehigh96, I actually tried to make a fair comparison of similarly themed coins rather than picking out gems versus dogs. I grant you that the first generation commemoratives had its share of dogs but the best of the first generation is far better than the best of the current crop. Also consider that the current commemoratives are mostly rendered on the much larger Dollar format while the first generation were almost all rendered on the Half Dollar format, so the opportunity for greater artistry or greater failure is present.

In any event, your thoughts are appreciated and duly noted. BTW, that Jefferson Dollar is a nice design. Maybe the difference is the lack of overall detail (due to differing engraving methods?) on modern commemoratives vice first generation commemoratives.

Well the classic series wins hands down over the moderns. The Lafayette Dollar is my favorite commemorative of all time. FWIW, I don't think it is a lack of overall detail that hurts the moderns. IMO, it is the lower relief and almost satin look that all of the modern issues have that makes them appear inferior. The effects of blazing luster and high relief devices on the visual appeal of coins can't be overstated. But this exists with all moderns, not just commemoratives. For example, compare an MS66 1930's Washington Quarter to a turn of the century MS68 and see which one is more visually impressive.

BTW, your avatar is cool.

I haved enjoyed the modern comms for quite some time and I have to say that there are a few dogs...the Disabled Vets comes to mind. But overall there is more good then bad. The Ben Franklins, Lincoln, and the Buffalo are top notch!