• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Commemorative DDO?!?

10 posts in this topic

2 weeks ago, I ordered a box of 1984 Commemorative Olympic coins to try and start rounding out my Modern commems. I don't know why, but I started looking these 3 coins over very carefully. When I got to the Denver issue, I noticed what I thought was some strike doubling on the "XXIII", then I got to the date and was very surprised to see a super thick "4" with a line separating it in half. The doubling continued throughout the date and all of "Los Angeles". I sent it off to NGC last week as a "Discovery". I don't know how "discoveries" work though. Curious to know what my friendly numismatists think. Included, is a picture of one of the regular commemoratives to note the difference.

IMG_8140

IMG_8144

IMG_8145

IMG_8165

IMG_8164

IMG_8138

Welcome to the neighborhood!

I post my photos directly from the ACDSee program on my computer, so I can't tell you how to use a hosting service.

Don't get discouraged if others haven't responded too quickly. It usually gets quiet here on the weekends because many either go to shows or spend the weekends with their family. Someone will be along soon.

Chris

last week I spoke with NGC on the phone about new commem varieties

they dont assign NEW varieties the will attribute an existing variety!!!

which by the way is in direct conflict with a NGC article concerning a gold CC

DOLLAR VARIETY which was undiscovered before and in the article they mentioned that when the coin was at NCS THEY NOTICED WHILE PRESERVATION was being considered.

any way it seems to me that with the commems nobody knows who you send the commem to for NEW VARIETY BUT I sent one last week to looked at by the pro for commems at coneca.

Mitch

thanks for the help! I was the the Long Beach Expo asking for advice last week. And basically NGC said that I just need to declare it a "discovery" and they'll decide if it's significant enough. That must be tough to make that call. I'm just wondering how many others have sent in "discovery" commemoratives only to have them denied because they weren't significant enough.

In the late 1990s, either Coins Magazine or Coin World, ran an article about the discovery of a 1984 Olympic doubled die. Sometime later, they ran a retraction article explaining that it was actually a type of machine doubling that fooled everyone at first, possibly due to the incuse lettering. I don't know if that is what you have found or not but it is very similar.

last week I spoke with NGC on the phone about new commem varieties

they dont assign NEW varieties the will attribute an existing variety!!!

which by the way is in direct conflict with a NGC article concerning a gold CC

DOLLAR VARIETY which was undiscovered before and in the article they mentioned that when the coin was at NCS THEY NOTICED WHILE PRESERVATION was being considered.

any way it seems to me that with the commems nobody knows who you send the commem to for NEW VARIETY BUT I sent one last week to looked at by the pro for commems at coneca.

Mitch

The article about the new variety on that gold coin didn't say that NGC attributed it. In all likelihood, when it was spotted, Dave Camire probably sent it to another party to have the attribution confirmed.

Chris