• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Agony of Submitting posted by TD Henson

1 post in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Just where does that agony reside?

When I first started submitting coins several years ago to the service that starts with an A, yes I know I'm speaking heresy, I used to think it was all about picking out some coins and then the agony was waiting the 3-4 weeks. I never did real well, but I was also learning how to grade, and still don't have that one down.

My first submission to NGC was better, but still somewhat lackluster and there was a time I thought that there might be a conspiracy against the collector in favor of the dealer. However, I've since changed that opinion and I'll try to explain why I feel different.

I've front ended the agony and have become ultra picky. I spent 6 months accumulating, reviewing and refining the submission box. I'm a Roosevelt Dime guy, so I buy lots of OBW's, mint sets, singles off Ebay, dealers and other collectors. In the past 6 months I've probably reveiwed 3-4,000 dimes and selected about 100 top quality prospects for the grading box. Then I go back through the box and cull out stuff that I've missed, usually about 20%. Now I'm down to about 80 coins and I go through these looking for the very best and set these aside in a different box - for this last submission I put 15 in that box. Hard to belive but even after all that reviewing noted above I still culled out 2 more coins for scuffs or marks that I didn't see, which I would have sent before and been ultra-disappointed with a 64 or some other unfortunate grade. Then I agonized over the final 13 coins to select the 7 I sent for grading based on the best of the best. I now believe it better to wait and make quality sumbissions from the best of the best - it takes me awhile because I don't have hundreds of thousands of coins from which to choose, which is why I think the playing field is level.

I really don't have any anxiety at all awaiting grades, because I truly believe I sent the best of the best, although I'm sure I'll be knocked down a peg when grades arrive...

Here's the list -

001 1980 D 10C

002 1979 D 10C

003 1994 P 50C

004 1980 D 25C

005 1986 P 10C

006 1988 D 10C

007 1992 P 10C

I believe that each coin in it's own right is a solid high end example for the date and MM. They are scheduled for grading now, so a little time will tell if the "upfront agony" was worth the peace of mind I feel now...

Happy Submitting to all!

I'll let you all know how I fair!

See more journals by TD Henson