• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first Morgan?? pics added

12 posts in this topic

I can buy right now an 1887 $1 ANACS DMPL for $300. Is this a good deal? Coin looks real nice with no scratches on the cheek. This is my main reason for liking the coin. Is ANACS a less reliable service?

front

Several questions: What is your goal in buying this coin? Are you building a date set, date and mintmark, PL/Dmpl, hodgepodge, etc? If you are launching a full set, matching business strikes, PLs and DMPLs will make the set look very unmatched. However, a full PL/DMPL set will be incredibly expensive.

Second, what is the grade? Can't tell a value without a grade.

Third, is it new or old ANACS? Old is better, new is worthless. The DMPL designation for ANACS, no matter the time frame, is generally considered unreliable and only someone knowledgeable in teh field should attempt to buy them with any hope of reliably crossing to NGC or PCGS.

Which brings me to, Fourth, are you planning some sort of Registry set? ANACS coins are not allowed in competitive Registry sets.

Fifth, do not be in a rush to buy a coin. Buy a book or two, read and study, plan out your set, and figure out what you want to do. Starting a set like this is a significant financial commitment, and for all but the very wealthy, must at least in part be treated as an investment. While $300 may not seem like much to some, once you multiply that by the possible hundred or more coins that a full Morgan set will take, you are now talking about a very significant sum of money. Mistakes early on can be quite costly, and you should take care to avoid them. You have a vast wealth of knowledge available to you here, I recommend you use it.

Finally, Sixth, I cannot and will not make a recommendation about a coin without adequate pictures of the coin.

No rush to buy anything.....believe me!

I have been offered this coin from a local friend but this is not what has caught my interest either. Just a coincidence....How can I tell a new slab from an old. its in an ANACS 64 DMPL holder. Price is $300.

This slab is bright yellow...

The yellow and blue slabs are new ANACS, the small white slabs are old ANACS.

I would not buy this coin. New ANACS is highly variable. If it were NGC 64DMPL, then yeah, $300 would be a good price. But without seeing the coin in hand I can't tell you anymore than that I would not buy it unless I were darn sure of the coin.

impossible to tell without seeing the coin in hand sight seen

try to find someone you know and trust who is a dmpl expert that can help you evaulate the coin and get the coin on memo and make aggangements to show it to them for their opinion

I can buy right now an 1887 $1 ANACS DMPL for $300. Is this a good deal? Coin looks real nice with no scratches on the cheek. This is my main reason for liking the coin. Is ANACS a less reliable service?

That price is not out of line for the coin. The question you need to ask YOURself is:

Is this worth $300 to me?

bump for pics

I would NOT pay DMPL prices for that. It looks PL, and probably (maybe?) 64, but almost certainly not DMPL.

Neither would I.

But, it may be worth that to the OP. 106.gif

Without knowing your goals, it's difficult to judge whether it's a "good deal". The coin looks decent to me, but I'm not sure what your purpose would be in buying it...