• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

do mint sets ever have varieties?

11 posts in this topic

could i, for example, find a '72 ddo lincoln in a mint set? wide AM lincolns? wide rim '79 SBA's? etc etc etc?

or do they mainly/only come in coins made for circulation?

I don't think they used special dies for mint sets. The only coins that were produced from special dies were the proofs. It wasn't until the satin finish was introduced in 2005 for the mint sets that different dies were used.

Chris

could i, for example, find a '72 ddo lincoln in a mint set? wide AM lincolns? wide rim '79 SBA's? etc etc etc?

...you probably have a good chance of discovering something unusual as

you have described mainly because the inspectors, half the time, don't even

look at the coins!!!! said tongue in cheek. :hi:

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The 1974-D half dollar with bold doubled-die obverse (FS-101) is a coin known to have been found in that year's set. It's a fairly common variety but one that is dramatic enough to be quite popular.

do mint sets ever have varieties?[sic]

Mint sets are usually hybrids and only rarely have varieties or other offspring. However, occasionally, when they are turned just the right way in the holders and left alone for long periods, mint sets will breed. There progeny are usually only small change, mostly minors, and have no capacity to further propagate.

Hope this helps, or at least makes you smile.

The 1999 SBA special mint set dollars have an unusual finish, almost chromed.

The 1999 SBA's were released both as regular circulation strikes and in Special Mint Sets (SMS) that contain a 1999-P and a 1999-D SBA. These SMS SBA's were double struck from dies that had a proof-like polish so most have a chrome-like finish that is unique in the series.
SmallDollars.com

Varieties? Yes

Popular and expensive varieties? No

About the only "popular" varieties I can think of are:

1959 Type B Reverse Washington

1970-S Small Date Lincoln

1974-D DDO Kennedy

Although other less popular DDO and DDR coins DO exist, you just have to know what to look for.