• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A New Director's Focus

13 posts in this topic

1. Reform of the coinage system and of the relationship with Congress

2. Improved quality of designs

3. Prosecution of domestic counterfeiters and sellers of counterfeit and altered coins.

I like your number #1 priority. Absolutely . This is an area where Ed Moy failed miserably . Of course , we always need to be making advances in the Quality of Artistic coinage designs. I also could not agree with you more on your 3rd point . That isn't just appropriate for coinage , but currency as well. It seems , that with all our technological advances, as soon as they are employed, someone has figured away to create quality counterfeits.

During the time he was President-Elect and we were not sure if Moy would continue to be Director, I wrote an open letter on my blog about what I would like to see from a U.S. Mint Director. After rereading that open letter, I would not change anything. You can read the open letter here.

Scott

#1 Not sure what the Director can do about this since the Secretarty of the Treasury and Congress have the final say.

#2 Let's see he doesn't do the designs or select the topics. He might try riding herd on the designers a little but if he isn't a qualified artist it probably wouldn't help. he doesn't get to chose the designs so I'm not sure what else he could do.

#3 Not the Mint directors job or responsibility.

During the time he was President-Elect and we were not sure if Moy would continue to be Director, I wrote an open letter on my blog about what I would like to see from a U.S. Mint Director. After rereading that open letter, I would not change anything. You can read the open letter here.

Scott

Like the blog. (thumbs u

Well, I thought more folks would be weighing in on this....

I did too.

In any event, these are part of a longer "to do" list sent to Treasurer Rios along with my expression of interest. I do not expect anything personally to come of this, but I hope she will pass the suggestions along to the person appointed Director.

This should be enlightening and interesting . List the three top issues that you would like to see the new Mint Director appointee to focus on during their first year .

The mint director should focus on the distribution of collector type coins so they go to collectors first and then whole sale coin houses late in the year..

This would eliminate the first strike issue and any repeat of the hockey puck fiasco.

We have not heard the end of Moys sudden leaving as mint director..

The mint director should focus on the distribution of collector type coins so they go to collectors first and then whole sale coin houses late in the year..

This would eliminate the first strike issue and any repeat of the hockey puck fiasco.

And just how do you suggest he do this? Limit all orders to one per household and then do extensive background searchs on each order and orderer before it is approved to make sure it is going to a collector and not someone who is ordering for a company or who intends to flip the coin? Take a week or so for each order, dozens of people, a huge expense which will have to be tacked onto the price of each issue. And that still wouldn't stop the "First Strike/Early Release" nonsense since most of that is for the bullion coins. As for the hockey puck fiasco, the only real thing the mint did wrong there was deciding to take half the mintage for a collectors version. If they had left the bullion mintage at 100K there might not have been so much scrambling over it. By making a collectors version all they did was wind up making collectors unhappy. And don't say they shouldn't have released them through the distributor network because they had no choice about that. That was mandated by Congress.

Yes the collectors should have input into distribution and mintage. This policy would augment a directors and congressional knowledge of the collecting community concerns. After all they are all public employees.

I read numerous posts on the dissatisfaction of the previous mints policy's. Perhaps he should set up a blog to read concerns, suggestions and post his own questions or a poll?..The hobby would be well served by this positive input...

The new return policy is a step in the right direction