• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleaning Coins?

3 posts in this topic

I see from time to time where it says a coin was inappropriately cleaned, is there an approved way to clean coins?

Soap and Water?

I see some coin companies advertise various other products for cleaning, are these approved?

If I submit for certification I want to get the best grade possible with the best looking coin possible - what is acceptable?

Thanks !

First off, there's a huge difference between cleaning and conservation. Generally, conservation is a market acceptable practice when done by experts such as NCS. A properly conserved coin will usually be slabbed by NGC or the other top-tier TPG's.and it is considered market acceptable because no traces of the conservation can be detected.

Technically, there's no acceptable method of cleaning a coin. Many people have ruined coins by attempting to clean them, for example, you suggesting "soap and water". That combo will certainly result in an inappropriately cleaned coin.

About the only safe methods for "cleaning" a coin are soaking in distilled water, acetone and/or xylene followed by air drying. Generally, these are undetectable by the TPG's if done properly using high-grade solvents. I (and most people) consider this conservation and not cleaning because the end result doesn't normally damage the surfaces.

For the vast majority of collectors it is best to leave a coin alone! Conservation is best left to the experts. Cleaning a coin will usually produce an ungradable and market unacceptable coin.