• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2 more Errors on the new nickels...

7 posts in this topic

Just went through a bag full of the P nickels... Found 22 T Cuds... No C's... 35 of one die crack... 4 of the better die crack... and 2 missing metal...

Pics...

434728-MVC-467F.JPG

The Metal is missing just in front of his nose and behind his hiar wrap...

434728-MVC-467F.JPG.b90c58520eb591f124b66e25c69f6a93.JPG

some really neat finds on these new nicks!!

could you also post the photos of the cuds and post what the reverse looks like?

do some of the coins with the die cracks and cuds show a progression?

michael

also how many coins where in the bag you looked through?

and were there any nicks that are truly superb gem conditionwise??

would not mind seeing a scan of this coin too!

a really interesting thread!!! thumbsup2.gif

michael

It's hard to tell from a photo but I'd guess that the effect right in front of the eyes on the first photo is caused by incomplete die fill. Even the best struck moderns usually have just enough metal flow to totally obliterate the planchet scratches which cover almost all planchets. This metal is very hard and the dies are set for the minimum pressure necessary so there are often planchet defects apparent in the finished coin.

Note, too, that this is directly opposite the cuff on the reverse which is one of the highest points and this is consistent with insufficient metal flow.

I looked through 500 nickels all P .... I might have seen 2 or so 68's... I will have to recheck....

Here is the bigger die crack.... Found 4

434946-MVC-469F.JPG

434946-MVC-469F.JPG.c3c5f648eaba0cb0c4900230d196060f.JPG