• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

should TPG be able to change grading standards?

Should all TPG be able to change grading standards from time to time?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Should all TPG be able to change grading standards from time to time?

41 posts in this topic

it is logically possible that PCGS is using its own hybrid scale. If this is the case, then how can anyone maintain a lawsuit against PCGS for allegedly not buying back coins under their reparation program (i.e. the one referenced in Coin World). If it is PCGS's standard then clearly the coin would mean exactly what PCGS says it is (or could reasonably get away with given their broadly written grading definitions published online). What prevents PCGS or any other grading service from completely refusing to guarantee a coin (other than negative feedback) or to make such a guarantee trivial?

The TPG guarantees don't state that a coin meets a certain grade. Rather, the guarantee is that the coin would grade the same upon regrade, and that if it fails to do so by grading lower, you are due compensation. (Incidentally, the guarantees say nothing about the instance where a coin grades higher upon regrade, which means the previous owner may have lost out on value due to an incorrect, lower grade.)

In other words, there is no published standard that the guarantee references, that I am aware of. Rather, it's implied that the existing, vast "body of work" is the de facto grading standard.

I have sent in a total of 11 tpg coins for upgrades 7 where upgraded

I have sent 40 tpg for down grades 2 where downgraded.

That is my history with resubmissions.

Draw from that any conclusion you wish, just adding real numbers to the above posts

it is logically possible that PCGS is using its own hybrid scale. If this is the case, then how can anyone maintain a lawsuit against PCGS for allegedly not buying back coins under their reparation program (i.e. the one referenced in Coin World). If it is PCGS's standard then clearly the coin would mean exactly what PCGS says it is (or could reasonably get away with given their broadly written grading definitions published online). What prevents PCGS or any other grading service from completely refusing to guarantee a coin (other than negative feedback) or to make such a guarantee trivial?

The TPG guarantees don't state that a coin meets a certain grade. Rather, the guarantee is that the coin would grade the same upon regrade, and that if it fails to do so by grading lower, you are due compensation. (Incidentally, the guarantees say nothing about the instance where a coin grades higher upon regrade, which means the previous owner may have lost out on value due to an incorrect, lower grade.)

In other words, there is no published standard that the guarantee references, that I am aware of. Rather, it's implied that the existing, vast "body of work" is the de facto grading standard.

Draw from that any conclusion you wish, just adding real numbers to the above posts

That proves absolutely nothing other than your personal grading standards are more conservative than the TPG's. But that is to be expected since you grade your coins using 10X and sometimes 20X magnification.

What are your credentials to even criticize the grading of the TPG's? You can't even write a coherent post using paragraphs, sentences, and proper grammar. If you want to be taken seriously on this or any other coin forum, then prove that you are serious and put forth the effort required to make your posts coherent, factual, and logical.

I confess, I submitted the 11 coins for upgrades and only 7 made upgrade. I have no credentials..

The 40 down grades where picked by me with no credentials. Verified by Mike Ellis a past grader for ANACS ICG AND DCG before sending in for guarantee resubmission..

I have seen famous TPG company graders using microscopes so I though it might be OK.

That proves absolutely nothing other than your personal grading standards are more conservative than the TPG's. But that is to be expected since you grade your coins using 10X and sometimes 20X magnification.

What are your credentials to even criticize the grading of the TPG's? You can't even write a coherent post using paragraphs, sentences, and proper grammar. If you want to be taken seriously on this or any other coin forum, then prove that you are serious and put forth the effort required to make your posts coherent, factual, and logical.

By his own admission, numerous times on several ranting threads, he is not credible ;)

I confess, I submitted the 11 coins for upgrades and only 7 made upgrade. I have no credentials..

The 40 down grades where picked by me with no credentials. Verified by Mike Ellis a past grader for ANACS ICG AND DCG before sending in for guarantee resubmission..

I have seen famous TPG company graders using microscopes so I though it might be OK.

Would this be a full band or a hairline? (shrug)

This is humane hair encapsulated in a TPG slab.

RSCN0004.jpg

As opposed to inhumane hair?

This example is the poster child of poor quality control.

I am developing a pile of TPG coins that have inhumane "hair" and other foreign matter.. This doesn't say much for the finalizer. But then that is the point of this post. .

An inhumane hair is one you have discovered after eating half of your hamburger.

Chris

An inhumane hair is one you have discovered after eating half of your hamburger.

Chris

:roflmao:

After collecting slabbed coins since ANACS, PCGS and NGC started. By this time, it is obvious that the third party grading companies are going to roll both more tightly and loosely with the bull and bear coin markets cycles. They will most likely continue to grade tightly in a bear market and grade more toward looser market grading in a bull market. Both PCGS and NGC have cycled through these market grading waves several times and I suspect, will continue to do so.