• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post a Plate Coin from Tomaska's new book if you have one.

10 posts in this topic

I finally got my copy of Tomaska's new book from Amazon. I find the book an entertaining and educational read, and appreciate the images. I enjoy the images of the blast white coins and the proofs. I can understand why the toned coins look the way they do in the images, and enjoy the images for what they are. As far as Franklin images go, there are 36 images used as date/mm examples ('49-S has 2 examples, 1 is a PL, hence 36 date/mm instead of 35). Of these 36 examples roughly 20 examples are toned and 16 are brilliant (I count roughly 20/16 toned/brilliant because some are only very minimally toned, so in some counts they are toned and in some counts they are brilliant). There are a further 33 examples of toned business strike Franklins in Appendix A. Due to the Type 1/2 difference in 1956 there are 15 Franklin proofs. IMO some of these are particularly jaw dropping. While I am not a Kennedy collector per se, I do like how Kennedys look, and there are a bunch of attractive ones in the book.

I would like to thank Rick for thinking some of my coins were worthy of including as examples in his book. Until I got the book I had no idea which, if any, of the 8 Franklins Rick requested that I send to him, got included in the book. It turns out 5 were thought worthy, all of which were posted in Appendix A. The 5 were; 1948-D, 1954-S, 1958 (the MS67 one), 1958-D (the MS67FBL one), and 1960. If you have a coin from the book (or more than one), be it Franklin or Kennedy, business strike or proof, toned or blast white, please post it/them. I'll be posting mine 1 by 1 to this thread over a period of time (basically when I think there is a long lag after the last post). Congratulations to all the contributors on your coins!!!

Franklin48D_65fblObv2.jpg

Franklin48D_65fblRev.jpg

I loved the pictures, but overall I was very disappointed with the book itself. Who gives a flip about Kennedy's? I don't know why he felt the need to include those. As for the Franklin section - much of the useful information from the 2nd edition was removed, and its now all about populations and scarcity and hype and advertisement. The front matter is almost all about proofs, very very little about business strikes. Overall, a disappointing book.

But I loved the pictures of incredible Franklins!

...As for the Franklin section - much of the useful information from the 2nd edition was removed, and its now all about populations and scarcity and hype and advertisement. The front matter is almost all about proofs, very very little about business strikes...

I agree that a lot more information could have been included.

Here's my next one.

Franklin54S_66_805.jpg

Come on guys, there's got to be some other plate coins out there...

After I had bought a softback copy from Amazon, I was quite pleasantly surprised to find in my mail a package from Rick including one hardback and one softback copy of the book. I certainly was not expecting them. Thank you very much Rick!

I let this thread die because NO ONE else posted a plate coin. I'm bumping this thread because of Goldbully's new thread ATS on Franklins

link

So here's another plate coin. If you have one or more PLEASE post to this thread!

Franklin58D_N67fblObv.jpg

Franklin58D_N67fblRev.jpg

soooooooooooo

I will be the guy the ask the dumb Question

what is a plate coin?

A plate coin is a coin that is pictured in a (numismatic) book. My understanding (and I may be off a little on this) is that originally, back in the 19th century, the images were taken on glass plates, hence the name.

Thanks for sharing, Sy. That is the most gorgeous 1948 D I have ever seen. My birth year to, hmmmm christmas is only 9 or so months away, so don't lose that coin or anything.

Great to have 5 plate coins. Wow. Those are some beauties.

Jim

While these coins never made it into any books, I feel that they sure could make it!

This coin while the pic doesnt do it any justice what so ever, I can assure it was an amazing example! The color popped big time in hand and the bell lines where razor sharp which you rarely ever see on 58 P's. It was graded an NGC MS66 FBL.

195850crainbow-horz-1.jpg

This one was graded by NGC a MS66* FBL and now is part of the frey collection (who by the way has an awesome set!).

DSCN1985-1.jpg

DSCN1986-1.jpg

This one was graded by NGC MS65* FBL and i sold it to rick at R&I a little while ago. It remains to be one of my favorite franklins.

DSCN1981-2.jpg

DSCN1982-2.jpg