• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting in slabs and raw posted by 91Charlie

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Does anyone else do this?

I collect the best condition coins that I can afford already slabbed and I also try to fill Dansco's with circulated coins as duplicates. Am I the only one that does this insane thing?

See more journals by 91Charlie

I do either or, or in the case of my Mercury Dimes a mix. For instance I have an album full of average circulated Mercury Dimes. The only coins in the set that are certified is a NGC AG-3 1916-D and an NGC MS-66 FB 1940. I purchased the 1916-D to protect myself from buying a counterfeit and the 1940 FB to be a high-grade coin that is representative of the whole set. Additionally, this set is absent of die varieties and is a simple date and mint set.

Gary

I match my raw collection with certfied coins! I don't have many album collections just a Peace Dollar & State Quarter set. The last few months I've been matching my Morgan & Roosevelt Dime coins. I"ve never thought to have any of my raw coins sent in for grading I didn't start collecting them with that in mind. I don't know enough about grading coins anyway so I figure I'm money ahead buying matching certified coins in the highest grade I can afford for my registry sets.

sig.jpg

I am working on a high ranking Jefferson Nickel Registry set that focuses on eye appeal and overall quality above all else. My Jefferson Nickel album collection is comprised of gem grade full step nickels for every date that can be found reasonably with full steps. For those date/mm rarely found with full steps, I look for the highest graded near miss steps I can find.

Here is a comparison of my 1941-D Registry coin compared to my 1941-D album coin.

JeffersonNickel1941-DNGCMS67Star5FS.jpg

JeffersonNickel1941-D.jpg

I have found that the best way to complete my album collection is to purchase full step MS65 nickels graded by ANACS and crack them out. Attempting to buy full step raw nickels from E-Bay or anywhere else is a fools errand in my experience.

"Condition" doesn't matter to me with regard to raw coins. I've cracked out a couple of 68s and 69s, quite a few 67s, and many 66s to place the coins into albums. If I'm not mistaken, my Washington quarter album collection alone has fifteen cracked-out MS-66s.

But as far as what I collect in slabs, I am interested in high, but not too-high, grade coins. I'd guess offhand that under 10% of my slabs contain circulated coins.