• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The next level posted by Scott Gardener

1 post in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

A series of up-trades ultimately puts in my hands a 1911-D quarter eagle. I reflect on coin collecting benchmarks through the years.

After more than a year of wanting, contemplating trades, and various simulations of trades, I finally made the move yesterday and did the trades needed to own a 1911-D quarter eagle. Up until yesterday, I had never spent $2000 or more on a single coin, though I did (and still do) have in my possession an MS65 common date Saint Gaudens $20, which if sold would have instantly broken that landmark figure for me. Over the past year, I've looked at all the other coins I've had and ran various simulations of trades, considering what I would have to give up in order to get the 11-D. I was also aware that I could have just saved up $5000 cash, forsaking coin shows and other joy expenses like the iPad I'm using right now to post this article, but I confess not having that kind of discipline for luxury purchases like $5k coins. I felt that it would ultimately take up-trading to get this thing.

In all, I gave up the following six coins:

1883-CC Morgan $1, MS66

1884-CC Morgan $1, MS63PL

1885 Morgan, MS64DMPL

1929 quarter eagle, MS61

1910 eagle, MS61

1927 Saint, MS64

and $1000 cash on hand.

I gutted my Morgans, giving up my three best, and I gave up my one other saint, not counting a modern 2009 ultra-high relief remake. I also gave up another Indian $2.50, even though I am working on a set. I figured that it would be easier to replace it for less than $600 than it was getting the 11-D. I actually found that one raw, selling at a little over half what I got for it in its PCGS holder.

But, it was well worth these sacrifices. I now have my first $5000+ coin, almost three years after getting my first $1000+ coin. It's a mental benchmark that my collecting has gone up another notch, even if one might not think so looking at my Morgan dollars.

See more journals by Scott Gardener