• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Satin Coins posted by Captain Clipon

2 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I keep hearing rumors that these coins will no longer be minted...

I have been actively working on my Lincoln Satin set. I have three or four coins to complete my MS69 set. Many of these coins are top pop! NGC shows no value for them as of now.

If these coins are discontinued they either skyrocket in price or fall away in obscurity. Since the set contains the bicentennial Lincolns, I figured the would be a good spec set. Only time will tell, and I will continue working on it.

I guess we'll see.

See more journals by Captain Clipon

My guesses are:

(1) All coinage loses some collector interest in the medium future. There's just too much out there, the circulated and satin stuff all looks the same to the untrained eye, and the proofs and commemmoratives are just too numerous and all perfect-looking.

(2) That guess aside, super gem business strike (not satin) from the satin years may become more precious. Just look at 1982 and 1983 uncirculated coins. No mint sets were made, collectors pay an arm and a leg for MS66+.

(3) The satins may have some collectability in high grades. They mercifully have many more lower grades than the proofs, and blemishes are visible to the naked eye, so the more perfect coins may have some worth going forward.

(4) There will be no home runs, unless you've got a super-rare top pop. (Like total graded pop in the several hundreds and your coin is only 1 or 2.) Think of all the millions of coins that haven't been graded yet.

My $.02.