• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Working with fellow collector in auction

33 posts in this topic

Actually, under the scenario discribed by the OP they ARE trying to

restrict or divide the market for the benefit of both parties
since in your own words they are trying to achieve
a price that will not be replicated if the two were to enter a "bidding war."
by conspiring to reduce competition for individual lots.

Is this tactic effective? Not necessarily, as long as other bidders exist. However, where does one draw the line? With two bidders conspiring to hold the price down? With four? How about with ten?

You seem to think that I feel this is a reprehensible practice. I don't think so at all. I admitted in my first response that I have done so myself. I merely stated that technically it is illegal...so is driving 80 MPH in a 70 MPH zone. I do this too.

I do, however, feel that from an ethical standpoint it is exactly the same as using a shill bidder. The only difference between the two practices arises from the end result, ie, "whose ox is gored"--the buyer who pays an artifically inflated price due to shill bidding or the consignor who receives an artifically deflated price due to ring bidding.

In other words, "two sides of the same coin" ;)

I don't think collusion as described by the OP is necessarily against the law. However, I would take a close look at the terms and conditions of the bidder's agreement. Scanning the Heritage Ts & Cs turned up no reference, interestingly enough.

Personally, I look at it in a bit more simplistic light and put myself in the consignor's shoes. Would I as the consignor want bids to be held down by colluding bidders? Of course not.

Bottom line: Treat others as you would have others treat you and don't collude with others. It's neither right not fair, IMO.

Respectfully...Mike

You seem to think that I feel this is a reprehensible practice. I don't think so at all. I admitted in my first response that I have done so myself. [it is analogous to] driving 80 MPH in a 70 MPH zone. I do this too.

Finally something we can all agree with. ;)lol