• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I need a good counterfeit detection book

10 posts in this topic

i want one that focuses on key dates basically. i used to have a first edition of this one and it was good, lots of info on SVDB's, '77 indian, 16d merc, etc.. so i was going to maybe grab an updated version but there are a ton of books to choose from....?

any advice? i need a solid reference guide so i ain't out there buying fakes ;)

Coin-Grading-Counterfeit-Detection-250.jpg

The PCGS book you linked is utterly and completely worthless for detecting counterfeits. I own it, read it once, and have left it boxed up ever since.

There is no one book that I am aware of. You'll have to gather up a number of references, probably starting with Cherrypicker's and the VAM book, and move on to attribution references next.

By the way, the Breen Encyclopedia is terrific for calling attention to issues likely to be counterfeited.

There is no single source that one can use to detect counterfiets. Two items I have are by Bill Fivaz.

There is small pocket guide flips from the top that shows the diagnostics for most of the key date coins. There is also the United States Counterfeit Detection Guide by Bill Fivaz that is very helpful.

Today you best defense to learn what the REAL coins look like. The Chinese are putting out so much garbage that you can't keep up with it.

Damn the Chinese counterfeiters, and I really mean that sincerely. :mad:

I wouldn't use the PCGS book for counterfeit detection. However, the ANA published a pair of small books that are excellent for this purpose and they were published around 1980 or so. They are out of print, but nearly always available on ebay for $10-$20 each.

I've found you can learn a lot more from someone who deals in copies, reproductions, and replicas of genuine coinage. They are a better source of information on counterfeits than any 1 book because you can ask questions from a real person, a book you can't.

...interesting question. what we need is a former grader (listening mark?) to

write a great book on this subject. after all, who would know more of what

to look for than a former TPG grader? these guys don't usually slab coins

that are counterfeited! they have the option of sharing a coin in question, with

another grader, if they aren't sure. they certainly have the info on this subject.

we just need one of them to share it with us, even for a price. so whose in?

:popcorn:

Most if not all experts on counterfeit detection tend to say the same thing. The best way to be able to detect counterfeits is to look at a LOT of genuine coins and know what the genuine coins look like.

The reason is if you had a book that showed you a bunch of different counterfeits for a given coin and then you run across a counterfeit that isn't in the book your right back where you started at. But if you know what the genuine coins for that issue look like and for the rarer pieces maybe even know the markers for the known genuine dies, if you run across a coin that doesn't look right, or lacks the known markers it is almost certainly fake.

thanks, there's some advice right there.. you're right. the reason i ask is because i bought a fake svdb on ebay. i knew the mintmark position was right, but i didn't realize the mintmark style was wrong doh! and i thought i knew what i was doing.... hm

luckily the seller was beyond cool and it worked out, but it was a slap in the face/wake up call.. ebay is a minefield

p.s. that link to the chinese stuff is amazing.... :pullhair: